This article walks you through installing COMSOL Multiphysics.
This article summarizes the installation process. For complete installation and operating instructions, see the COMSOL Multiphysics® Installation and Operations Guide.
To install COMSOL Multiphysics® you must have a trial passcode or a license file. If you do not have one, first contact your COMSOL Sales Representative.
To generate a license file, we will need to know the HostID of your computer, see: KB 828: Obtaining a HostID for licensing. For recommendations about what kind of computer to install on, see: KB 866: What hardware do you recommend for Multiphysics®?
The resources below are organized by license type. To learn more about license types, see License Options.
If you are installing a Named Single User License, watch:
If you are installing an CPU-Locked Single User License, watch:
If you are using a Floating Network License and are installing a copy of COMSOL Multiphysics® on a computer that has network access to an installed and running License Manager, watch:
If you are the administrator of the COMSOL Multiphysics® Floating Network License, and are installing or administering the License Manager, watch:
If you are a student using a Class Kit License, watch:
If you are the administrator of a Class Kit License, watch:
If you are planning on running COMSOL Apps via the COMSOL Client, watch:
If you are the administrator of the COMSOL Server™, download the COMSOL Server™ Manual and watch:
- KB 1252: License error -5,414 in COMSOL Multiphysics 5.4
- KB 903: Could not obtain license for COMSOL Multiphysics GUI
- KB 933: Troubleshooting graphics issues
- KB 1083: Error: An error has occurred. See the log file C:\Users...
- KB 1140: COMSOL Multiphysics crashes silently
- KB 1170: Error: .NET Framework Initialization Error
- KB 1253: Issues after updating COMSOL Multiphysics 5.3
Floating Network License Administrative Issues
- KB 1016: Overview of License borrowing
- KB 1022: License Error: -25 or FlexNet Licensing error:-21,126
- KB 1058: How to administrate multiple floating network license files on one license server
- KB 1059: Error: Licensed number of users already reached
- KB 1078: Problems running a classkit license (CKL)
- KB 1142: How can I see who is currently using a floating network license?
- KB 1211: How to administrate a COMSOL Multiphysics Floating Network License and a COMSOL Server License on the same license server
- KB 1253: When the primary server for our license server triad crashes, license handling does not work.
Installing Interfacing Products
The following articles address issues that may arise when installing interfacing products.
- KB 1221: Repairing the LiveLink Interface Using the COMSOL Installer
- KB 1093: Error: Failure loading MATLAB libraries. This model requires that MATLAB is available.
- KB 1122: Error: Failed to connect to SOLIDWORKS
- KB 1158: Parameter Selection Is Not Available in the PTC Creo Parametric User Interface
- KB 1159: Parameter Selection Is Not Available in the PTC Pro/ENGINEER User Interface
- KB 1160: Error: Failed to connect to Solid Edge
- KB 1162: Error: Failed to connect to PTC Pro/ENGINEER
- KB 1163: Error: Failed to connect to Inventor
- KB 1167: Error: Failed to connect to Inventor
- KB 1218: Error: Failed to connect to PTC Creo Parametric
- KB 1234: An error is returned when running mphlaunch and mphstart
Linux and Mac Specific
COMSOL makes every reasonable effort to verify the information you view on this page. Resources and documents are provided for your information only, and COMSOL makes no explicit or implied claims to their validity. COMSOL does not assume any legal liability for the accuracy of the data disclosed. Any trademarks referenced in this document are the property of their respective owners. Consult your product manuals for complete trademark details.