Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

simulate total internal reflection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi I am using COMSOL 3.5a to test one simple case.

2D. interface between glass (n=1.5) and air (n=1). i add PML at top and bottom.

i want to simulate an incident tilted plane wave enter glass layer from top, the boundary condition i use at the two sides is Floquet periodicity with k = the k vector for the plane wave.

the boundary condition at the two PML is scattering boundary condition.

i solve for scattered TM.

I expect that for incident angle > 41.8 degree, i will observe total internal reflection, where the wave in Air will propagate in x direction, with magnitude exponentially decay in y direction.
However, if my incident angle is 0.5*pi, i can get the total internal reflection; for all other incident angles, i did not observe this. when i plot out the scattered Hz, I see that the Hz in Air is not an evanescent wave.

Anyone knows what is the possible mistake? thanks a lot!

2 Replies Last Post 7 ago 2010, 08:43 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mag 2010, 00:28 GMT-4
Hi Lin,

Are you using the Scattered Harmonic Mode?

Also, have you checked whether the reflections and transmissions at the COMSOL air-glass (or glass-air in your case) interface are consistent with the Fresnel equations? - I am personally having problems with this right now!!

Which domain/s is/are your source/s limited to?

If you are facing the same problem as me, then it could explain why you don't see a total internal reflection at the boundary.

I am trying to frantically work out why there are these discrepancies in reflection,

If you wish to attach your model, I could take a look at it and advice on some of the thumb-rules I try to stick to.

cheers,

Best Regards,
Prateek
Hi Lin, Are you using the Scattered Harmonic Mode? Also, have you checked whether the reflections and transmissions at the COMSOL air-glass (or glass-air in your case) interface are consistent with the Fresnel equations? - I am personally having problems with this right now!! Which domain/s is/are your source/s limited to? If you are facing the same problem as me, then it could explain why you don't see a total internal reflection at the boundary. I am trying to frantically work out why there are these discrepancies in reflection, If you wish to attach your model, I could take a look at it and advice on some of the thumb-rules I try to stick to. cheers, Best Regards, Prateek

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 ago 2010, 08:43 GMT-4
hi, guys, have you fixed your proplem?
I am also interested in the reflections and transmissions between dielectric interface.
hi, guys, have you fixed your proplem? I am also interested in the reflections and transmissions between dielectric interface.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.