Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Geometry Units and Convergecne

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Does anyone know why changing the "geometry unit" raises convergence issues? For instance, when I change mm to cm, while all other parameters are the same, simulation diverges!

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration!

AR

3 Replies Last Post 7 ago 2014, 08:19 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 28 lug 2014, 10:37 GMT-4
Hi Ahmedreza,
It's hard to say specifically without any information about what you're modeling, but certainly the solution of a given problem can be quite different at one scale from what it is at a different scale. For instance, by making your geometry 10 times larger you may transform a laminar flow into a turbulent one. In an EM problem, a mesh that was able to capture a skin layer at one scale may not capture it once the geometry has gone up tenfold. Etc...
Jeff
Hi Ahmedreza, It's hard to say specifically without any information about what you're modeling, but certainly the solution of a given problem can be quite different at one scale from what it is at a different scale. For instance, by making your geometry 10 times larger you may transform a laminar flow into a turbulent one. In an EM problem, a mesh that was able to capture a skin layer at one scale may not capture it once the geometry has gone up tenfold. Etc... Jeff

Posted: 10 years ago 6 ago 2014, 22:31 GMT-4

Hi Ahmedreza,
It's hard to say specifically without any information about what you're modeling, but certainly the solution of a given problem can be quite different at one scale from what it is at a different scale. For instance, by making your geometry 10 times larger you may transform a laminar flow into a turbulent one. In an EM problem, a mesh that was able to capture a skin layer at one scale may not capture it once the geometry has gone up tenfold. Etc...
Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Thanks a lot for your comment. You are absolutely right, but by scaling down the free stream velocity, I do not let the flow transfer to turbulent regime; I am pretty sure it is still laminar. Actually, I am modeling a fluid-structure interaction problem. Should I post the model here please let me know. Or I can email it to you.

I really appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
AR

--
AR
[QUOTE] Hi Ahmedreza, It's hard to say specifically without any information about what you're modeling, but certainly the solution of a given problem can be quite different at one scale from what it is at a different scale. For instance, by making your geometry 10 times larger you may transform a laminar flow into a turbulent one. In an EM problem, a mesh that was able to capture a skin layer at one scale may not capture it once the geometry has gone up tenfold. Etc... Jeff [/QUOTE] Hello Jeff, Thanks a lot for your comment. You are absolutely right, but by scaling down the free stream velocity, I do not let the flow transfer to turbulent regime; I am pretty sure it is still laminar. Actually, I am modeling a fluid-structure interaction problem. Should I post the model here please let me know. Or I can email it to you. I really appreciate your help. Sincerely, AR -- AR

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 7 ago 2014, 08:19 GMT-4
Feel free to contact COMSOL's technical support to request assistance if your license is eligible for that service: www.comsol.com/support/
Best,
Jeff
Feel free to contact COMSOL's technical support to request assistance if your license is eligible for that service: www.comsol.com/support/ Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.