Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

STL Import Mesh builds correctly, Domain is corrupted

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I've got a simulation where I have to simulate the behaviour of different models in the same scenario. So i put on a simulation, which works great with 3 out of 4 models. The 4th model is causing some problems with importing the .stl When importing the .stl the geometry doesn't look like it should. And when the second part of the model is added (one model contains two geometrys) then there are errors caused because the bodies don't fit together. I'm just confused of the fact that the Mesh that is imported from the .stl is perfectly fine in Comsol. It's just corrupted in the geometry-section and i have no idea how to fix that. I'll upload pictures of the Mesh and the Geometry for to demonstrate. Anybody an idea, how I could fix that?

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 6 lug 2023, 13:46 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 months ago 6 lug 2023, 13:46 GMT-4

Hello Tobias,

Generally speaking, the stl format is not a very good way to import a geometry into an analysis package. Your message does not indicate where your stl file originates from, but since it looks like it was probably generated in a CAD package I would recommend, if at all possible, that you try one of the more traditional CAD formats supported by the CAD Import Module (and Design Module, and all the LiveLink for CAD products): Parasolid, sat, step, IGS.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Tobias, Generally speaking, the stl format is not a very good way to import a geometry into an analysis package. Your message does not indicate where your stl file originates from, but since it looks like it was probably generated in a CAD package I would recommend, if at all possible, that you try one of the more traditional CAD formats supported by the CAD Import Module (and Design Module, and all the LiveLink for CAD products): Parasolid, sat, step, IGS. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.