Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Objective function missing after computing optimization

Hendrik Mechanical Engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to optimize (topology optimization) a plate structure, in order to maximize the lowest eigenfrequency.

When selecting my objective function in Study > Topology optimization, I am able to choose comp1.plate.freq , as well as "maximization".

However, right after running the study, it says the variable is undefined. After this, the variable also has disappeared from the list of variables (model>plate>global).

Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

Kind Regards,

1 Reply Last Post 31 mar 2023, 03:30 GMT-4
Kristian Ejlebjærg Jensen COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 year ago 31 mar 2023, 03:30 GMT-4

Hi Kaap H.

I cannot reproduce your problem using the shell_eigenfrequency_shape_optimization library model. The solution is probably to use the global freq variable instead of the variable defined by the shell interface, but keep in mind that COMSOL 6.1 only supports gradient based optimization over a Eigenvalue/Eigenfrequency study step (and this is unsupported in 6.0). This means that it is not possible to use the Helmholtz filter in the Density Model or the regularization functionality in the shape optimization features, because these all require support for optimization over a Stationary->Eigenvalue combination.

You might be able to address the checkboard issue by avoiding linear discretization for the displacement. Alternatively, you can use the Polynomial Shell feature or derivative free optimization to maximize the lowest eigenfrequency.

Best regards, Kristian E. Jensen Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Hi Kaap H. I cannot reproduce your problem using the shell_eigenfrequency_shape_optimization library model. The solution is probably to use the global freq variable instead of the variable defined by the shell interface, but keep in mind that COMSOL 6.1 only supports gradient based optimization over a Eigenvalue/Eigenfrequency study step (and this is unsupported in 6.0). This means that it is not possible to use the Helmholtz filter in the Density Model or the regularization functionality in the shape optimization features, because these all require support for optimization over a Stationary->Eigenvalue combination. You might be able to address the checkboard issue by avoiding linear discretization for the displacement. Alternatively, you can use the Polynomial Shell feature or derivative free optimization to maximize the lowest eigenfrequency. Best regards, Kristian E. Jensen Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.