Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

SM Equation?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm using strucutural mechanics - solid mechanics model
in comsol 4.0a.

Do you know where (which window?) I can see witch equation I'm using?

Also I want to create an equation, how can I do that?
- I know it is just a matter of matching the coefficient, but I want to add another, or other, terms to the equation

Thanks

5 Replies Last Post 20 giu 2012, 16:01 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 giu 2012, 02:07 GMT-4
Hi

you cannot see the equations in v4.0, you need a more recent (>= 4.2 ?) version
You can see the COMOSL equations if you turn the "preferences options equation view on
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you cannot see the equations in v4.0, you need a more recent (>= 4.2 ?) version You can see the COMOSL equations if you turn the "preferences options equation view on -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 giu 2012, 02:39 GMT-4
should I uninstal the version I'm using now before install the new version 4.2a or it goes straightforward?
should I uninstal the version I'm using now before install the new version 4.2a or it goes straightforward?

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 giu 2012, 02:49 GMT-4
I had another question left...
how can I create an equation? (In comsol 4.2a)
even it is just a matter of matching coefficients, I want to add other terms in the pre existing equation of the comsol

I had another question left... how can I create an equation? (In comsol 4.2a) even it is just a matter of matching coefficients, I want to add other terms in the pre existing equation of the comsol

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 giu 2012, 15:28 GMT-4
Hi

I would uninstall first, as for me 4.2 is so much better (do not forget to patch to latest level, see the main site), but take care if you have defined any material DB, it's in the users .comsol ... directory, save it somewhere else as backup first

Equations you can always add to most fields in the nodes. If you want to go deeper into COMSOl layers you need to turn on the equation view (options preferences) and dig therein, but be sure you know what you are doing. Often its beter to add weaks equations or ODE or PDEs to your physics, or as separate physics

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would uninstall first, as for me 4.2 is so much better (do not forget to patch to latest level, see the main site), but take care if you have defined any material DB, it's in the users .comsol ... directory, save it somewhere else as backup first Equations you can always add to most fields in the nodes. If you want to go deeper into COMSOl layers you need to turn on the equation view (options preferences) and dig therein, but be sure you know what you are doing. Often its beter to add weaks equations or ODE or PDEs to your physics, or as separate physics -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 giu 2012, 16:01 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,
thanks for answer.

I'm trying to simulate a wave in a plate (single source)
I'm using the structural mechanics module "Plate"
as I want to know the displacements in Z direction

I added a PDE - "waeq" to simulate the wave propagation

I'm using 2D dimention

when I run I got the results. But how much credible are these results
since I'm using 2D, and in the PDE/waeq the dependet variable "u" is not specific?
I mean, I don't know if this "u" is in the x, y or z direction...

Hi Ivar, thanks for answer. I'm trying to simulate a wave in a plate (single source) I'm using the structural mechanics module "Plate" as I want to know the displacements in Z direction I added a PDE - "waeq" to simulate the wave propagation I'm using 2D dimention when I run I got the results. But how much credible are these results since I'm using 2D, and in the PDE/waeq the dependet variable "u" is not specific? I mean, I don't know if this "u" is in the x, y or z direction...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.