Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Charges distribution inside resistive layer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good morning,
I am working with a simple parallel plate capacitor, applying a voltage and the aim is to see the distribution of charges inside one of the two electrodes made of a resistive layer.
I am using only the Electrostatics module but from the results I cannot even add charge distribution.
The only way to compute charges is to define a Space Charge density but is not what i want since the layers without applied voltage have to be neutral one by one.
Should I add some other Physics?
Thank you for the attention,
Cosimo

10 Replies Last Post 19 giu 2012, 09:50 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 mag 2012, 07:42 GMT-4
Hi

I beleive you have the isue that in ES Electro STATIC you do not have any flow (currents), at least from my understanding. While in EC you need conductivity everywhere, so you cannot build up static charges, appart via I=dQ/dt.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I beleive you have the isue that in ES Electro STATIC you do not have any flow (currents), at least from my understanding. While in EC you need conductivity everywhere, so you cannot build up static charges, appart via I=dQ/dt. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 mag 2012, 11:26 GMT-4
I see, thank you.

But the problem seems to be more related to the material itself or at most to the conditions at the interfaces, because I find a charge distribution inside the insulator which has zero conductivity (or really low).

I will post the solution as soon as I will figure out how to build a reliable capacitor made of resistive electrodes.
Or has anybody already found solution to this problem?

Thank you, good evening
Cosimo
I see, thank you. But the problem seems to be more related to the material itself or at most to the conditions at the interfaces, because I find a charge distribution inside the insulator which has zero conductivity (or really low). I will post the solution as soon as I will figure out how to build a reliable capacitor made of resistive electrodes. Or has anybody already found solution to this problem? Thank you, good evening Cosimo

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 giu 2012, 05:05 GMT-4
Good morning you all,

at the moment i am able to simulate the field and the voltage potential inside the capacitor but it seems that COMSOL cannot compute perfectly thin space charge distribution.

Reminding you the problem, we would see the shape of the space charge distribution inside the metal electrode and the resistive layer of a capacitor with an applied voltage. That is I would see what is happening at nanometric scale.

I tried reducing the dimensions of the elements in the mesh, but it doesn't help, resulting only in a increased computational complexity.

I am using ES and EC module; solving Laplace should be enough..

Should I maybe use other modules?
Or is more a problem of the space resolution of the solver?

Is there anybody that could give any suggestion?

Thank you for your interest,
Cosimo
Good morning you all, at the moment i am able to simulate the field and the voltage potential inside the capacitor but it seems that COMSOL cannot compute perfectly thin space charge distribution. Reminding you the problem, we would see the shape of the space charge distribution inside the metal electrode and the resistive layer of a capacitor with an applied voltage. That is I would see what is happening at nanometric scale. I tried reducing the dimensions of the elements in the mesh, but it doesn't help, resulting only in a increased computational complexity. I am using ES and EC module; solving Laplace should be enough.. Should I maybe use other modules? Or is more a problem of the space resolution of the solver? Is there anybody that could give any suggestion? Thank you for your interest, Cosimo

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 giu 2012, 16:23 GMT-4
Hi

it would be much easer for us to understand if we got a model, or you explain all the steps to build a simple model showing your case. If you clear the solution and the mesh, it should fit and be uploadable to the Forum

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it would be much easer for us to understand if we got a model, or you explain all the steps to build a simple model showing your case. If you clear the solution and the mesh, it should fit and be uploadable to the Forum -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 giu 2012, 08:05 GMT-4
Hi all,

we upload the file.

The problem is that the charge distribution is a delta fuction across the interfaces between the elctrodes and the insulator. We were expecting to not find any charges inside the insulator and a larger space charge distribution in the resistive layer.

We guess that somehow the results are limited by the resolution of the mesh.

What do you think?

Thank you for your attention

Kind regards
Cosimo
Hi all, we upload the file. The problem is that the charge distribution is a delta fuction across the interfaces between the elctrodes and the insulator. We were expecting to not find any charges inside the insulator and a larger space charge distribution in the resistive layer. We guess that somehow the results are limited by the resolution of the mesh. What do you think? Thank you for your attention Kind regards Cosimo

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 giu 2012, 15:26 GMT-4
Hi

I believe you have a problem by defining both ES and EC with the same dependent variable name V, as there is an unique soluton only for one or the other not for both physics driving the same depdendet variable.
And normally you need then to drive one physics by the other or bi-directionally

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe you have a problem by defining both ES and EC with the same dependent variable name V, as there is an unique soluton only for one or the other not for both physics driving the same depdendet variable. And normally you need then to drive one physics by the other or bi-directionally -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 giu 2012, 05:17 GMT-4
Hi,
should we define then 2 variables?
But how is it possible to link the two physics by having two different variables?

Kind regards
Hi, should we define then 2 variables? But how is it possible to link the two physics by having two different variables? Kind regards

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 giu 2012, 15:25 GMT-4
Hi

for me you should have V1 and V2 as your physics do not consider the same material properties to solve the mdel and will therefore not give exactly the same results (in ES = static for me at least there is no current flow, only chanrge buildup)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for me you should have V1 and V2 as your physics do not consider the same material properties to solve the mdel and will therefore not give exactly the same results (in ES = static for me at least there is no current flow, only chanrge buildup) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 giu 2012, 03:49 GMT-4
I am using ES and EC module; solving Laplace should be enough..

The problem is that the charge distribution is a delta fuction across the interfaces between the elctrodes and the insulator. We were expecting to not find any charges inside the insulator and a larger space charge distribution in the resistive layer.

We guess that somehow the results are limited by the resolution of the mesh.

The right-hand side of the Laplace equation is zero. In other words, the space charge term is zero. So this is not a problem of mesh resolution: the problem you're solving doesn't allow for space charges to begin with. You can have an interface charge, which you call a "delta function across the interfaces", though mathematically(!) these are defined at the boundary and at the boundary only. In the EC case, boundaries will be charged if they are discontinuous in conductivity. In the ES case, only exterior boundaries (electrodes) can be charged, since there is no charge transport through the bulk.
[quote]I am using ES and EC module; solving Laplace should be enough..[/quote] [quote]The problem is that the charge distribution is a delta fuction across the interfaces between the elctrodes and the insulator. We were expecting to not find any charges inside the insulator and a larger space charge distribution in the resistive layer. We guess that somehow the results are limited by the resolution of the mesh. [/quote] The right-hand side of the Laplace equation is zero. In other words, the space charge term is zero. So this is not a problem of mesh resolution: the problem you're solving doesn't allow for space charges to begin with. You can have an interface charge, which you call a "delta function across the interfaces", though mathematically(!) these are defined at the boundary and at the boundary only. In the EC case, boundaries will be charged if they are discontinuous in conductivity. In the ES case, only exterior boundaries (electrodes) can be charged, since there is no charge transport through the bulk.

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 giu 2012, 09:50 GMT-4
Hi John,
thank you of your reply.
The point is that the peak in the distribution of charges is also getting a bit inside the insulator, we were expecting that delta fuction at the interface, only on the metal side instead.That's why I thought that the solver couldn't solve nanometric layer.
We have also being trying to keep the problem only wtih one physics at each time as you suggested, but we didn't solve.
For the moment I should say that is difficult to simulate space distribution of charges inside materials!
Any suggestion is welcome.

thank you
Cosimo
Hi John, thank you of your reply. The point is that the peak in the distribution of charges is also getting a bit inside the insulator, we were expecting that delta fuction at the interface, only on the metal side instead.That's why I thought that the solver couldn't solve nanometric layer. We have also being trying to keep the problem only wtih one physics at each time as you suggested, but we didn't solve. For the moment I should say that is difficult to simulate space distribution of charges inside materials! Any suggestion is welcome. thank you Cosimo

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.