Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency response of a piezoelectric transformer (AC analysis)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am simulating a rectangular piezoelectric transformer with PZT-5H from the materials library. I have assumed the bottom surface to be fixed.
My intention is to apply an AC voltage to the input terminals of the transformer with varying frequency. Right now I have used 'Terminal' and 'Ground' at the input side and 'Floating potential' to the output. I am then using a 'Frequency domain' study and varying the frequency. Is this really implying that I'm applying an AC voltage with varying frequency? Or is there any other appropriate way to do it?

I do get graphs for susceptance and voltage, but I'm not sure if this is indeed the correct way of doing it.
Also I have considered certain parameters for the piezo assembly. I have not assumed any metallic connection at the input and output terminals. Is there anything else I should be including?

I have attached the model I made.

Any input will be of great help.
Thanks!

Sneha

4 Replies Last Post 18 lug 2012, 11:36 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 mar 2012, 12:12 GMT-4
Has anyone worked piezo transformers?
Any inputs would be of help!

Sneha
Has anyone worked piezo transformers? Any inputs would be of help! Sneha

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 lug 2012, 14:47 GMT-4
Hi Sneha,
I am trying to do something similar and have almost just started. Were you able to gather any help and verify if what youwere doing was actually correct. I learnt too today that by putting a DC value of voltage and doing a frequency domain analysis with a particular frequency will mean like a sinusoidal AC voltage. But even i am not sure. there must be somehting simpler!! Also there is a sin input in the frequency domain. Does that change the result?

Help pplease.

Thanks,
megha
Hi Sneha, I am trying to do something similar and have almost just started. Were you able to gather any help and verify if what youwere doing was actually correct. I learnt too today that by putting a DC value of voltage and doing a frequency domain analysis with a particular frequency will mean like a sinusoidal AC voltage. But even i am not sure. there must be somehting simpler!! Also there is a sin input in the frequency domain. Does that change the result? Help pplease. Thanks, megha

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 lug 2012, 05:11 GMT-4

Helllo fnds
I am doing simulation of a single coil to find differnt parameters like Magnetic field intensity (H) , Inductance of coil , i excite the coil with single turn of coil with currnet 1 A , The magnetic field intensity of a coil is H= I/2r , where I is current of coil and r is radius of coil
If i take radius is 0.35m and current of coil 1 A , i should get H= 1.42 A/m , but i am not getting and getting less ...could tell the what is problem and solution
Model is attached
--
kishore Naik Mude
Helllo fnds I am doing simulation of a single coil to find differnt parameters like Magnetic field intensity (H) , Inductance of coil , i excite the coil with single turn of coil with currnet 1 A , The magnetic field intensity of a coil is H= I/2r , where I is current of coil and r is radius of coil If i take radius is 0.35m and current of coil 1 A , i should get H= 1.42 A/m , but i am not getting and getting less ...could tell the what is problem and solution Model is attached -- kishore Naik Mude

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 lug 2012, 11:36 GMT-4
Hello Megha,

One way to apply and AC voltage is to explicitly mention the sinusoidal equation. For eg. you can add a "Terminal" and in the "Electric potential" tab mention "V0=100*sin(2*pi*50*t[1/s]) ; 100 being the amplitude, and 50 the frequency of operation.

The technique you mentioned is also correct (DC + freq domain analysis).

You could also use 'f' variable for frequency in the equation above and then add a "Parametric Sweep" within the frequency domain analysis.

I guess one way to verify whether the model behaves correctly is by comparing the results with experimental findings if you have any.
Hope this is helpful.

Sneha
Hello Megha, One way to apply and AC voltage is to explicitly mention the sinusoidal equation. For eg. you can add a "Terminal" and in the "Electric potential" tab mention "V0=100*sin(2*pi*50*t[1/s]) ; 100 being the amplitude, and 50 the frequency of operation. The technique you mentioned is also correct (DC + freq domain analysis). You could also use 'f' variable for frequency in the equation above and then add a "Parametric Sweep" within the frequency domain analysis. I guess one way to verify whether the model behaves correctly is by comparing the results with experimental findings if you have any. Hope this is helpful. Sneha

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.