Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

looking for help on modeling an welding arc

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

My name is Rainer, im new to the world of comsol. I did FEM and CFD on Siemens NX. I could use some help on modeling an welding arc (temperature field, magnetic field and flow in the melted steel).

Me and my team is building an welding tractor or robot or whatever you want to call it for my final exams. it will follow undefined contures by magnetic forces from permanent magnets.

Now i need to prove that the permanent magnets dont affect the welding arc. (magnetic blow...)

thanks!

take care,

Rainer

4 Replies Last Post 24 mag 2012, 14:45 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rainer Zufall

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 mag 2012, 12:25 GMT-4
hello Rainer
I am studing on the effection by imposed magnetic filed on weding arc zone. The arc temperature and arc pressure will be changed when you bringed magnetic field on it. So what are you prove for ?
hello Rainer I am studing on the effection by imposed magnetic filed on weding arc zone. The arc temperature and arc pressure will be changed when you bringed magnetic field on it. So what are you prove for ?

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 mag 2012, 10:07 GMT-4
hey lu,

my goal is to prove, that an permanent magnet will not effect the welding arc depending on the orientation to the burning arc.

it would help if you could give me an working comsol model of an free burning arc... cant get one to work by myself :(

take care!
hey lu, my goal is to prove, that an permanent magnet will not effect the welding arc depending on the orientation to the burning arc. it would help if you could give me an working comsol model of an free burning arc... cant get one to work by myself :( take care!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 mag 2012, 14:34 GMT-4
Hi

from the pysics side, an arc being a plasma and composed of charged ions/electrons in motion, they MUST be influenced by a magnetic field. So the question is rather how much, and what magnetic fields and field shapes will, or not, influence drastically a given welding arc.

This said, unfortunately, I do not have any nice model already made up, but its certainly an interesting and challenging subject, and I'm looking forward to follow the discussion

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from the pysics side, an arc being a plasma and composed of charged ions/electrons in motion, they MUST be influenced by a magnetic field. So the question is rather how much, and what magnetic fields and field shapes will, or not, influence drastically a given welding arc. This said, unfortunately, I do not have any nice model already made up, but its certainly an interesting and challenging subject, and I'm looking forward to follow the discussion -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 mag 2012, 14:45 GMT-4
"the question is rather how much, and what magnetic fields and field shapes will, or not, influence drastically a given welding arc"

thats correct! i did an experiment with an strong (5000N to carry loads) permanent magnet.

and find out that the arc is more or less effected by the orientation and distance of the permanent magnet to the arc.

the thing is that it would be nice to have some nice pictures for my documentation.

take care!
"the question is rather how much, and what magnetic fields and field shapes will, or not, influence drastically a given welding arc" thats correct! i did an experiment with an strong (5000N to carry loads) permanent magnet. and find out that the arc is more or less effected by the orientation and distance of the permanent magnet to the arc. the thing is that it would be nice to have some nice pictures for my documentation. take care!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.