Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

1D 4th order PDE using Weak Form

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello:

I'm new to the Weak Form Modeling in Comsol and I have some questions regarding the 1-Dimensional 4th oder PDE modeling using Weak Form. The equation is shown below: (a clear view of this problem is in .JPG file and .mph file)

d^4(phi)/dx^4 = 0, within domain: -1 <= x <= 1

Boundary conditions: d^3(phi)/dx^3 = 0 at x=-1
d(phi)/dx = 0 at x=1
phi = -10 at x=-1
phi = 10 at x=1

In order to solve the 4th order PDE in Comsol, I introduce a new variable P that P = d^2(phi)/dx^2. Then the equation becomes:

P = d^2(phi)/dx^2
d^2(P)/dx^2 = 0

I transform these two equations into weak forms and I get two weak form equations:

Integral(weak_expression_1) + weak_contribution_1 = 0
Integral(weak_expression_2) + weak_contribution_2 = 0

In Comsol, I can enter weak_expression_1 and weak_expression_2 in two boxes in Weak Form PDE 1 under PDE(w) module. Then I add weak_contribution_1 and weak_contribution_2 in Weak Contribution 1 and 2 under PDE(w) module. But when I solve this problem, the Comsol's result doesn't match the analytical solution (in the .JPG file).

My question is, when I enter the weak_contribution_1 and weak_contribution_2 in Weak Contribution under PDE(w) module, which equations does Comsol add them to, since there is only one box in the Weak Contribution (I'm expecting two boxes).

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best Regards

2 Replies Last Post 14 gen 2012, 09:50 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 gen 2012, 04:01 GMT-5
Hi

it would be easier to follow if you uploaded the file too ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it would be easier to follow if you uploaded the file too ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 gen 2012, 09:50 GMT-5
Here are the files. Thanks!

I remember I have attached the files, are they available for downloading now?
Here are the files. Thanks! I remember I have attached the files, are they available for downloading now?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.