Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interfacing Piezoelectric Device with Electric Circuit

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am trying to model a piezoelectric device and interface it with the electric circuite interface. The piezoelectric material should create a voltage, between GND and a Terminal which then should be connected to a resisitor. This should lead to a current through the resistor which I want to simulate.

To demonstrate it here I use the piezoelectric tube example from comsol. I added an electric circuite physic and tried to interface it in the before mentioned way, but as soon as I connect the resistor, the electric potential on the terminal goes to zero and the only measureable electric potential is inside the piezo-material. Is there something I am missing? Like conductance through the material or some coupling inbetween the interfaces?

Looking forward to any form of idea or help! Best regards, Matthias

2 Replies Last Post 25 mag 2018, 05:07 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 25 mag 2018, 04:48 GMT-4

The stationary condition of any loaded piezoelectric circuit must be a zero current and thus zero voltage across the load. You must conduct a time dependent or frequency domain study to see a current or voltage across the resistive load. The simple physical reason behind is energy conservation.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
The stationary condition of any loaded piezoelectric circuit must be a zero current and thus zero voltage across the load. You must conduct a time dependent or frequency domain study to see a current or voltage across the resistive load. The simple physical reason behind is energy conservation. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 6 years ago 25 mag 2018, 05:07 GMT-4

Actually this was it! Thanks a lot!

Actually this was it! Thanks a lot!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.