Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Re : What will be the conversion for outward unit normal (N) and curvature (K) which are compatible in COMSOL 3.5a ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I am a new user of COMSOL and dont know so much about it !! I would like define outwatd unit normal (N) and curvature (K) during the Phase field/level set formulation in phase change issue like : Melting / solidification.
I have tried by writing the usual math like, n=grad(phi)/abs(grad(phi)) and K=div(n) After the execution of COMSOL, it says that the expressions for outwatd unit normal (N) and curvature (K) are not correct and consequently, calculation diverges. If anybody knows it, please let me know.

With best regads

AH

8 Replies Last Post 10 feb 2011, 09:50 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 feb 2011, 10:06 GMT-5
Hi

do not forget that if phi is a dependent variable, you have the gradient defined as (phix,phiy,phiz) with the suffix x and the second derivative with a suffix xx,yy,zz,xy ....

see the doc

On the boundaries you have the normals already defined, but that does not fully match the level set method

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi do not forget that if phi is a dependent variable, you have the gradient defined as (phix,phiy,phiz) with the suffix x and the second derivative with a suffix xx,yy,zz,xy .... see the doc On the boundaries you have the normals already defined, but that does not fully match the level set method -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 feb 2011, 16:12 GMT-5

Hello All,

I am a new user of COMSOL and dont know so much about it !! I would like define outwatd unit normal (N) and curvature (K) during the Phase field/level set formulation in phase change issue like : Melting / solidification.
I have tried by writing the usual math like, n=grad(phi)/abs(grad(phi)) and K=div(n) After the execution of COMSOL, it says that the expressions for outwatd unit normal (N) and curvature (K) are not correct and consequently, calculation diverges. If anybody knows it, please let me know.

With best regads

AH

Hi,
Are you simulating Melting/ Solidifcation using comsol? I am doing it now. Maybe we can discuss each other if you don't mind.
If you use the phase field or level set module, the unit normal and curvature are both calculated automatically by comsol I think, see the enclosed Users' Guide about the level set method.
By the way, which method do you use, phase field or level set ? I think the phase field module in comsol is for the simulation of multiphase flow, but not suitable for melting or solidification, because the governing equations are different, for the phase field in comsol, the governing equation is Cahn-Hilliard equation, while for the simulation of melting or solidification we need the Allen-Cahn equation. What's your opinion?
[QUOTE] Hello All, I am a new user of COMSOL and dont know so much about it !! I would like define outwatd unit normal (N) and curvature (K) during the Phase field/level set formulation in phase change issue like : Melting / solidification. I have tried by writing the usual math like, n=grad(phi)/abs(grad(phi)) and K=div(n) After the execution of COMSOL, it says that the expressions for outwatd unit normal (N) and curvature (K) are not correct and consequently, calculation diverges. If anybody knows it, please let me know. With best regads AH [/QUOTE] Hi, Are you simulating Melting/ Solidifcation using comsol? I am doing it now. Maybe we can discuss each other if you don't mind. If you use the phase field or level set module, the unit normal and curvature are both calculated automatically by comsol I think, see the enclosed Users' Guide about the level set method. By the way, which method do you use, phase field or level set ? I think the phase field module in comsol is for the simulation of multiphase flow, but not suitable for melting or solidification, because the governing equations are different, for the phase field in comsol, the governing equation is Cahn-Hilliard equation, while for the simulation of melting or solidification we need the Allen-Cahn equation. What's your opinion?

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 feb 2011, 02:24 GMT-5
Dear Mr. Ivar,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have found it as suggested in the "doc" of comsol. By the way, I am supposed to modify the source term of governing equation where definition of unit normal is required. In that regards, I would like to write, n = (phix,phiy,phiz)/abs((phix,phiy,phiz)). Mathematically, it is ok. But is it ok for COMSOL
platform ? However, curvature is ok as it can be written only by the second derivatives of phi and first order derivatives as well which is mentioned by you. Thanks !

With best regards

AH

Hi

do not forget that if phi is a dependent variable, you have the gradient defined as (phix,phiy,phiz) with the suffix x and the second derivative with a suffix xx,yy,zz,xy ....

see the doc

On the boundaries you have the normals already defined, but that does not fully match the level set method

--
Good luck
Ivar

Dear Mr. Ivar, Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have found it as suggested in the "doc" of comsol. By the way, I am supposed to modify the source term of governing equation where definition of unit normal is required. In that regards, I would like to write, n = (phix,phiy,phiz)/abs((phix,phiy,phiz)). Mathematically, it is ok. But is it ok for COMSOL platform ? However, curvature is ok as it can be written only by the second derivatives of phi and first order derivatives as well which is mentioned by you. Thanks ! With best regards AH [QUOTE] Hi do not forget that if phi is a dependent variable, you have the gradient defined as (phix,phiy,phiz) with the suffix x and the second derivative with a suffix xx,yy,zz,xy .... see the doc On the boundaries you have the normals already defined, but that does not fully match the level set method -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 feb 2011, 03:06 GMT-5
Dear Mr. Yu,

Thanks for your reply.

>> Maybe we can discuss each other if you don't mind.

No problem. Lets discuss together either here or privately. It will be helpful for both of us !!

Actually, I am not doing purely melting and solidification process. My target is includes multiphase ( like : solid> liquid> gas) and melting is one of the intermediate stage. So, Phase field and level set approach, both can be used (literature says !!!) . However, melting is the dominating stage in my calculation and then vaporization ......

>>If you use the phase field or level set module, the unit normal and curvature are both calculated automatically by comsol.

Yes, you are right.

Since my target is not purely melting or solidification, I have to modify some source terms as

reported by previous researchers ..

Thanks once again for your reply.

With best regards

AH

Hi,
Are you simulating Melting/ Solidifcation using comsol? I am doing it now. Maybe we can discuss each other if you don't mind.
If you use the phase field or level set module, the unit normal and curvature are both calculated automatically by comsol I think, see the enclosed Users' Guide about the level set method.
By the way, which method do you use, phase field or level set ? I think the phase field module in comsol is for the simulation of multiphase flow, but not suitable for melting or solidification, because the governing equations are different, for the phase field in comsol, the governing equation is Cahn-Hilliard equation, while for the simulation of melting or solidification we need the Allen-Cahn equation. What's your opinion?

Dear Mr. Yu, Thanks for your reply. >> Maybe we can discuss each other if you don't mind. No problem. Lets discuss together either here or privately. It will be helpful for both of us !! Actually, I am not doing purely melting and solidification process. My target is includes multiphase ( like : solid> liquid> gas) and melting is one of the intermediate stage. So, Phase field and level set approach, both can be used (literature says !!!) . However, melting is the dominating stage in my calculation and then vaporization ...... >>If you use the phase field or level set module, the unit normal and curvature are both calculated automatically by comsol. Yes, you are right. Since my target is not purely melting or solidification, I have to modify some source terms as reported by previous researchers .. Thanks once again for your reply. With best regards AH [/QUOTE] Hi, Are you simulating Melting/ Solidifcation using comsol? I am doing it now. Maybe we can discuss each other if you don't mind. If you use the phase field or level set module, the unit normal and curvature are both calculated automatically by comsol I think, see the enclosed Users' Guide about the level set method. By the way, which method do you use, phase field or level set ? I think the phase field module in comsol is for the simulation of multiphase flow, but not suitable for melting or solidification, because the governing equations are different, for the phase field in comsol, the governing equation is Cahn-Hilliard equation, while for the simulation of melting or solidification we need the Allen-Cahn equation. What's your opinion? [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 feb 2011, 10:05 GMT-5

Dear Mr. Yu,

Thanks for your reply.

>> Maybe we can discuss each other if you don't mind.

No problem. Lets discuss together either here or privately. It will be helpful for both of us !!

Actually, I am not doing purely melting and solidification process. My target is includes multiphase ( like : solid> liquid> gas) and melting is one of the intermediate stage. So, Phase field and level set approach, both can be used (literature says !!!) . However, melting is the dominating stage in my calculation and then vaporization ......

>>If you use the phase field or level set module, the unit normal and curvature are both calculated automatically by comsol.

Yes, you are right.

Since my target is not purely melting or solidification, I have to modify some source terms as

reported by previous researchers ..

Thanks once again for your reply.

With best regards

AH

Hi,

Hi, Akter Hossain
Yes, both phase field and level set are suitable for simulating moving boundary problems. but do you note the difference between these two methods in comsol and these in literatures (I read some papers about simulating of solidification). The equations to control the evolution of "phi" are different. Maybe I don't quite know you model. Which literatures did you read? Thank you!
[QUOTE] Dear Mr. Yu, Thanks for your reply. >> Maybe we can discuss each other if you don't mind. No problem. Lets discuss together either here or privately. It will be helpful for both of us !! Actually, I am not doing purely melting and solidification process. My target is includes multiphase ( like : solid> liquid> gas) and melting is one of the intermediate stage. So, Phase field and level set approach, both can be used (literature says !!!) . However, melting is the dominating stage in my calculation and then vaporization ...... >>If you use the phase field or level set module, the unit normal and curvature are both calculated automatically by comsol. Yes, you are right. Since my target is not purely melting or solidification, I have to modify some source terms as reported by previous researchers .. Thanks once again for your reply. With best regards AH [/QUOTE] Hi, Are you simulating Melting/ Solidifcation using comsol? I am doing it now. Maybe we can discuss each other if you don't mind. If you use the phase field or level set module, the unit normal and curvature are both calculated automatically by comsol I think, see the enclosed Users' Guide about the level set method. By the way, which method do you use, phase field or level set ? I think the phase field module in comsol is for the simulation of multiphase flow, but not suitable for melting or solidification, because the governing equations are different, for the phase field in comsol, the governing equation is Cahn-Hilliard equation, while for the simulation of melting or solidification we need the Allen-Cahn equation. What's your opinion? [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE] Hi, Akter Hossain Yes, both phase field and level set are suitable for simulating moving boundary problems. but do you note the difference between these two methods in comsol and these in literatures (I read some papers about simulating of solidification). The equations to control the evolution of "phi" are different. Maybe I don't quite know you model. Which literatures did you read? Thank you!

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 feb 2011, 16:09 GMT-5

Hello All,

With best regads

AH

Hello, Akter Hossain
May I ask you a question? when simulating melting or solidification, you need to calculate the velocity of the moving interface by the Stefan condition, i.e. rho*L*V=qs-ql, where rho is the density, L is the latent heat, V is the velocity, and qs-ql is the heat flux difference across the moving interface. How did you do about the calculation of "qs-ql" in comsol? I know the operators "down(), up()" can make it, but I'm not sure about the usage of them. I think two variables should be defined to represent qs and ql, for example, qs = up (ht. tfluxx), ql = down (ht. tfluxx) (considering 1D, in version 4, ht. tfluxx means total x component heat flux). But if just define these two variable like these, do comsol know that up() or down() is effective to which boundary?
[QUOTE] Hello All, I am a new user of COMSOL and dont know so much about it !! I would like define outwatd unit normal (N) and curvature (K) during the Phase field/level set formulation in phase change issue like : Melting / solidification. I have tried by writing the usual math like, n=grad(phi)/abs(grad(phi)) and K=div(n) After the execution of COMSOL, it says that the expressions for outwatd unit normal (N) and curvature (K) are not correct and consequently, calculation diverges. If anybody knows it, please let me know. With best regads AH [/QUOTE] Hello, Akter Hossain May I ask you a question? when simulating melting or solidification, you need to calculate the velocity of the moving interface by the Stefan condition, i.e. rho*L*V=qs-ql, where rho is the density, L is the latent heat, V is the velocity, and qs-ql is the heat flux difference across the moving interface. How did you do about the calculation of "qs-ql" in comsol? I know the operators "down(), up()" can make it, but I'm not sure about the usage of them. I think two variables should be defined to represent qs and ql, for example, qs = up (ht. tfluxx), ql = down (ht. tfluxx) (considering 1D, in version 4, ht. tfluxx means total x component heat flux). But if just define these two variable like these, do comsol know that up() or down() is effective to which boundary?

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 feb 2011, 03:12 GMT-5

Hello, Akter Hossain
May I ask you a question? when simulating melting or solidification, you need to calculate the velocity of the moving interface by the Stefan condition, i.e. rho*L*V=qs-ql, where rho is the density, L is the latent heat, V is the velocity, and qs-ql is the heat flux difference across the moving interface. How did you do about the calculation of "qs-ql" in comsol? I know the operators "down(), up()" can make it, but I'm not sure about the usage of them. I think two variables should be defined to represent qs and ql, for example, qs = up (ht. tfluxx), ql = down (ht. tfluxx) (considering 1D, in version 4, ht. tfluxx means total x component heat flux). But if just define these two variable like these, do comsol know that up() or down() is effective to which boundary?

Hello Xiaoyi Yu,

Your are right that Stefan condition, i.e. rho*L*V=qs-ql should be solved for melting/solidification !!! But I found that instead of solving Stefan condition for phase change, some authors introduces a discontinuity in the Specific heat (Cp) of the Phase change material (PCM) and this discontinuity is implemented by a smoothed Heaviside function with a continuous second order derivative (flc2hs >> ver 3.5a ) in COMSOL. and the melting of PCM is observed including mushy zone. It seems to me that it is very simple to implement. But authors did not say anything why Stefan condition is replaced by Cp modification. !! Actually, I dont know about `` up() or down()`` operators and their effectiveness to calculate the fluxes. I am sorry in this regards and moreover, still I am using Ver 3.5a & I dont know about ver. 4.0 & above ... Anyway, I think that the modification of Cp is very simple way to simulate the melting or solidification. If you wish then you can try this approach.

Good luck !!

AH
[/QUOTE] Hello, Akter Hossain May I ask you a question? when simulating melting or solidification, you need to calculate the velocity of the moving interface by the Stefan condition, i.e. rho*L*V=qs-ql, where rho is the density, L is the latent heat, V is the velocity, and qs-ql is the heat flux difference across the moving interface. How did you do about the calculation of "qs-ql" in comsol? I know the operators "down(), up()" can make it, but I'm not sure about the usage of them. I think two variables should be defined to represent qs and ql, for example, qs = up (ht. tfluxx), ql = down (ht. tfluxx) (considering 1D, in version 4, ht. tfluxx means total x component heat flux). But if just define these two variable like these, do comsol know that up() or down() is effective to which boundary? [/QUOTE] Hello Xiaoyi Yu, Your are right that Stefan condition, i.e. rho*L*V=qs-ql should be solved for melting/solidification !!! But I found that instead of solving Stefan condition for phase change, some authors introduces a discontinuity in the Specific heat (Cp) of the Phase change material (PCM) and this discontinuity is implemented by a smoothed Heaviside function with a continuous second order derivative (flc2hs >> ver 3.5a ) in COMSOL. and the melting of PCM is observed including mushy zone. It seems to me that it is very simple to implement. But authors did not say anything why Stefan condition is replaced by Cp modification. !! Actually, I dont know about `` up() or down()`` operators and their effectiveness to calculate the fluxes. I am sorry in this regards and moreover, still I am using Ver 3.5a & I dont know about ver. 4.0 & above ... Anyway, I think that the modification of Cp is very simple way to simulate the melting or solidification. If you wish then you can try this approach. Good luck !! AH

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 feb 2011, 09:50 GMT-5

Hello, Akter Hossain

Hello Xiaoyi Yu,

Your are right that Stefan condition, i.e. rho*L*V=qs-ql should be solved for melting/solidification !!! But I found that instead of solving Stefan condition for phase change, some authors introduces a discontinuity in the Specific heat (Cp) of the Phase change material (PCM) and this discontinuity is implemented by a smoothed Heaviside function with a continuous second order derivative (flc2hs >> ver 3.5a ) in COMSOL. and the melting of PCM is observed including mushy zone. It seems to me that it is very simple to implement. But authors did not say anything why Stefan condition is replaced by Cp modification. !! Actually, I dont know about `` up() or down()`` operators and their effectiveness to calculate the fluxes. I am sorry in this regards and moreover, still I am using Ver 3.5a & I dont know about ver. 4.0 & above ... Anyway, I think that the modification of Cp is very simple way to simulate the melting or solidification. If you wish then you can try this approach.

Good luck !!

AH

Hi, Akter Hossain
Yes, I read some literatures like you said introducing Cp discontinuity, and also in Comsol Model Library, there are phase change examples using this method. But I wonder is this method good or suitable to dendritic solidification? Thank you!
[QUOTE] [/QUOTE] Hello, Akter Hossain May I ask you a question? when simulating melting or solidification, you need to calculate the velocity of the moving interface by the Stefan condition, i.e. rho*L*V=qs-ql, where rho is the density, L is the latent heat, V is the velocity, and qs-ql is the heat flux difference across the moving interface. How did you do about the calculation of "qs-ql" in comsol? I know the operators "down(), up()" can make it, but I'm not sure about the usage of them. I think two variables should be defined to represent qs and ql, for example, qs = up (ht. tfluxx), ql = down (ht. tfluxx) (considering 1D, in version 4, ht. tfluxx means total x component heat flux). But if just define these two variable like these, do comsol know that up() or down() is effective to which boundary? [/QUOTE] Hello Xiaoyi Yu, Your are right that Stefan condition, i.e. rho*L*V=qs-ql should be solved for melting/solidification !!! But I found that instead of solving Stefan condition for phase change, some authors introduces a discontinuity in the Specific heat (Cp) of the Phase change material (PCM) and this discontinuity is implemented by a smoothed Heaviside function with a continuous second order derivative (flc2hs >> ver 3.5a ) in COMSOL. and the melting of PCM is observed including mushy zone. It seems to me that it is very simple to implement. But authors did not say anything why Stefan condition is replaced by Cp modification. !! Actually, I dont know about `` up() or down()`` operators and their effectiveness to calculate the fluxes. I am sorry in this regards and moreover, still I am using Ver 3.5a & I dont know about ver. 4.0 & above ... Anyway, I think that the modification of Cp is very simple way to simulate the melting or solidification. If you wish then you can try this approach. Good luck !! AH [/QUOTE] Hi, Akter Hossain Yes, I read some literatures like you said introducing Cp discontinuity, and also in Comsol Model Library, there are phase change examples using this method. But I wonder is this method good or suitable to dendritic solidification? Thank you!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.