Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

writing a equation in Comsol giving error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
It might be a basic question for most of the people but i am very new to Comsol Multiphysics please help me out.I Am trying to write Poisson 3D/2D equation in variables section but it was giving me syntax error(red colour) ,i tried differently to enter the equation like copy/paste my equations are as follows :

1)3D-Poisson equation - Ɛr(x,y,z)Ɛ0*∇^2ϕ(x,y,z)=-ρ(x,y,z),

2)2D-Poisson equation Ɛr(x,y)Ɛ0*∇^2ϕ(x,y)=-ρ(x,y).

looking forward for response.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Manoj

3 Replies Last Post 15 lug 2016, 11:03 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 14 lug 2016, 08:50 GMT-4
Hello Manoj,
The electrostatics equation is already implemented in COMSOL (in the Model Wizard, select AC/DC and Electrostatics), so we would not recommend you re-invent the wheel here, unless you have a good reason to do so that you did not mention.
With that said, if you must implement an equation from scratch, the Reference Manual, version 5.2a, Chapter 16 documents the equation-based modeling interfaces. All manuals are accessed through the File > Help > Documentation menu.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Manoj, The electrostatics equation is already implemented in COMSOL (in the Model Wizard, select AC/DC and Electrostatics), so we would not recommend you re-invent the wheel here, unless you have a good reason to do so that you did not mention. With that said, if you must implement an equation from scratch, the Reference Manual, version 5.2a, Chapter 16 documents the equation-based modeling interfaces. All manuals are accessed through the File > Help > Documentation menu. Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 15 lug 2016, 05:36 GMT-4
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your reply as i told you i am new to Comsol i don't know that these equations are in built .In that case i don't need to declare parameters also am i right.I will upload my model here with the complete description what we are aiming to do and how we are approaching.
Thanks in advance
manoj
Hi Jeff, Thanks for your reply as i told you i am new to Comsol i don't know that these equations are in built .In that case i don't need to declare parameters also am i right.I will upload my model here with the complete description what we are aiming to do and how we are approaching. Thanks in advance manoj

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 15 lug 2016, 11:03 GMT-4
Hi Manoj,
I'm sure you'll love the interface for electrostatics. It's very straightforward to use.
You'll see that the interface will ask for the relative permittivity, of course, and you'll need to enter your desired expression for the charge distribution rho. The rest is done for you.
Best,
Jeff
Hi Manoj, I'm sure you'll love the interface for electrostatics. It's very straightforward to use. You'll see that the interface will ask for the relative permittivity, of course, and you'll need to enter your desired expression for the charge distribution rho. The rest is done for you. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.