Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adding curvature to geometries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Is it possible in Comsol to add 3D curvature to a surface?

For example, if i was to draw a circle in a work plane, extrude it to a thin disk, could i then add curvature to make it into a concave/convex surface?

I know i could create similar effects by subtracting two similar size spheres from eachother and cutting them down as Ivan described in the 'half-sphere' topic, but i need this to be more general.

An example application would be modelling the shape of a idealised flower corolla, with perhaps five-fold rotational symmetry about the z axis. The flower is not flat in the x-y plane: it is depressed in the centre and curls up toward the outside like a bowl.

To be even more realistic the curvature would not be completely uniform; it would be steeper in the centre and flatten out at the edges like a the image of the flower attached.

I only wish to model a highly idealised version of this sort of flower of course, it is just there to give you an idea of what i'm going on about.

I would love to be able to parametrically sweep the curvature, rather than have to remake the model each time.

I hope i've put this clearly enough, it is a bit of a strange application i know.
Thanks kindly.

Dom.

1 Reply Last Post 1 dic 2010, 02:49 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 dic 2010, 02:49 GMT-5
Hi

you have the freehand "bezier curve feature" for specific curves int he COMSOL CAD module. Bezier curves are well described in the litterature with those you acn shape your forms at will, with some mathematics though

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have the freehand "bezier curve feature" for specific curves int he COMSOL CAD module. Bezier curves are well described in the litterature with those you acn shape your forms at will, with some mathematics though -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.