Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

thermal expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello readers and moderators,
i am currently working on hygro swelling in rice but i could not find the appropriate physics on it but used thermal expansion instead.
however, i could not find the right convergence. could somebody help me please where i am mistaken in encoding the values for the physics. ( i could not attached the mph file. the site says file size error. it is about 7MB). i can send it through email.
i highly appreciate your help. thanks in advance.

jonathan

2 Replies Last Post 7 apr 2011, 05:27 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 ott 2010, 02:36 GMT-4
Hi

to make your file smaller in V4:
1) Clear the solutions (do not delete to avoid removing the graphs)
2) select the first "size" just under the mesh node and do "build Selected"
3) in File do a "Reset History" and save the file

The result is normally "small" and should upload

in V3.5 if you do a "reset Histors" you loose all meshing and you clear the solution. OK if the object is simple and you can mesh by default, but if the geoemtry is complex often it is saved as a separate file, then you must upload both.

if you have convergence issues it can come from:
scaling of your variables, or in 4.0 try useing a direct solver instead of the default iterative, check BC's and initial values

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi to make your file smaller in V4: 1) Clear the solutions (do not delete to avoid removing the graphs) 2) select the first "size" just under the mesh node and do "build Selected" 3) in File do a "Reset History" and save the file The result is normally "small" and should upload in V3.5 if you do a "reset Histors" you loose all meshing and you clear the solution. OK if the object is simple and you can mesh by default, but if the geoemtry is complex often it is saved as a separate file, then you must upload both. if you have convergence issues it can come from: scaling of your variables, or in 4.0 try useing a direct solver instead of the default iterative, check BC's and initial values -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 apr 2011, 05:27 GMT-4
Hi Jonathan,

I am also working about rice hygro swelling and I also have some
convergence problems about swelling modelization, generated by water entering flux.
Did you manage to overcome this problem?
Have a nice day.
Aurelien
Hi Jonathan, I am also working about rice hygro swelling and I also have some convergence problems about swelling modelization, generated by water entering flux. Did you manage to overcome this problem? Have a nice day. Aurelien

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.