Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Patch Antenna S11 Problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I have been simulating very basic patch antennas. However when I compare simulations with measurements I always get very different plots (please see the attachment). Can it be about COMSOL's S11 Parameter or a plot scale problem? What would be reasons for that ?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies Last Post 13 ago 2016, 12:47 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 6 lug 2015, 04:41 GMT-4
No idea?
No idea?

Posted: 9 years ago 6 lug 2015, 15:55 GMT-4
Osman,

Unlike your measurement plots, the numerical results do not even look smooth enough. I suspect something went wrong in setting up your model.
Osman, Unlike your measurement plots, the numerical results do not even look smooth enough. I suspect something went wrong in setting up your model.

Posted: 9 years ago 21 lug 2015, 03:27 GMT-4

Osman,

Unlike your measurement plots, the numerical results do not even look smooth enough. I suspect something went wrong in setting up your model.

Hi,

First of all thank you so much for your kind response.

The antenna that I am trying to simulate is a fabricated out of with special materials. It contains different material subdomains in it (Fig1). Actually I was suspecting with its material properties however after re-measurements I have found similar results that I assigned as a material. (diel1, diel2 and diel3).

What would be the problem you think?

Best regards.
[QUOTE] Osman, Unlike your measurement plots, the numerical results do not even look smooth enough. I suspect something went wrong in setting up your model. [/QUOTE] Hi, First of all thank you so much for your kind response. The antenna that I am trying to simulate is a fabricated out of with special materials. It contains different material subdomains in it (Fig1). Actually I was suspecting with its material properties however after re-measurements I have found similar results that I assigned as a material. (diel1, diel2 and diel3). What would be the problem you think? Best regards.

Posted: 8 years ago 13 ago 2016, 12:25 GMT-4
Hi Osman,

I am also having the same problem; the S11data measurement from network analyzer it does not match with the simulation at all. Well, I use a waveguide microwave cavity instead of your patch antenna but the problem is the same.
So finally have you figured it out the problem?
Hi Osman, I am also having the same problem; the S11data measurement from network analyzer it does not match with the simulation at all. Well, I use a waveguide microwave cavity instead of your patch antenna but the problem is the same. So finally have you figured it out the problem?

Posted: 8 years ago 13 ago 2016, 12:47 GMT-4
Hi Hakan,

The antenna that i was trying to simulate, had a high dielectric material and complex shape as you see. So later on I designed a very simple patch antenna with duroid substrate and results matched very well with the measurement.

Hi Hakan, The antenna that i was trying to simulate, had a high dielectric material and complex shape as you see. So later on I designed a very simple patch antenna with duroid substrate and results matched very well with the measurement.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.