Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

basic questions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have just started modelling, my model is fluid thermal incompressible flow, (cc and ns equation).
I am about to model a pipe, water flowing through it, i want to know what is the difference between z velocity and r velocity and the normel flow velocity( in the boundary condition for the water inlet). which one is the maximum velocity in the pipe which occurs un the cinterline of the pipe?in my model the r velocity is supposed to be zero the z velocity is about 0.001 and the normal inflow is about 0.006 as my suprvisor has recommanded it.
the other question is that how should i realize my model is symmetric or not(matrix symmetry) or which solver(paradiso or UMFpack) should I use.

thanks alot

2 Replies Last Post 2 ago 2010, 18:45 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 ago 2010, 03:58 GMT-4
Hi

if you talk about r and z I assume you are in 2D axisymmetry mode. Then any vector as a r (radial along horizotal x) and z (height along usual y) component with a norm =sqrt(r^2+z^2) (for all \phi the implicit rotational DoF).
The normal flow velocity for me would be the norm of the vector component perpendicular to the inlet surface (edge).

if you have a vertical pipe (as a vertical rectangle) the inlet (lets say horizontal at the top) has a normal along "z" so the nomal component is simply the z component of your velocity vector.

Finally you can check the oc in 2D you have the "s" variable defined normally from 0 to 1 along any edge (in the sens of the arrow) This is handy to use to define a particular velocity profile (as usually the velocity is "0" at a tangeant edge) somethig like vz=vz0*(s-1)^2 if your s starts at "0" on axis and goes to 1 at the external pipe edge. This would define a parabolic shape, pls adapt the Vz0 to get either the desired peak or mean velocity

to start with leave the solver as defined by default normally it solves OK, as there are many other things to learn on the way. Do not forget to train on the any examples in the doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you talk about r and z I assume you are in 2D axisymmetry mode. Then any vector as a r (radial along horizotal x) and z (height along usual y) component with a norm =sqrt(r^2+z^2) (for all \phi the implicit rotational DoF). The normal flow velocity for me would be the norm of the vector component perpendicular to the inlet surface (edge). if you have a vertical pipe (as a vertical rectangle) the inlet (lets say horizontal at the top) has a normal along "z" so the nomal component is simply the z component of your velocity vector. Finally you can check the oc in 2D you have the "s" variable defined normally from 0 to 1 along any edge (in the sens of the arrow) This is handy to use to define a particular velocity profile (as usually the velocity is "0" at a tangeant edge) somethig like vz=vz0*(s-1)^2 if your s starts at "0" on axis and goes to 1 at the external pipe edge. This would define a parabolic shape, pls adapt the Vz0 to get either the desired peak or mean velocity to start with leave the solver as defined by default normally it solves OK, as there are many other things to learn on the way. Do not forget to train on the any examples in the doc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 ago 2010, 18:45 GMT-4
I do appreciate that, thanks for your help
I do appreciate that, thanks for your help

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.