Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to manually operate on "fem.sol.u" data

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a COMSOL model for heat-driven buoyant flow in a cavity. I exported my fem with 29k DOF, now I want to do post-processing manually for equations dependent on the fluid velocity and temperature. I can extract the 'u' data giving me the x-velocity of my fluid, but now have two questions:

1. I'm interested in three variables; u, v, and T. How do I access the y-velocity and temperature at my nodes? Is that already contained in the 29k solution points?
2. From the 29k data points in the fem structure, how do I differentiate my final solutions at the nodes so I can manually extract the data points for processing?

>> fem.sol

ans =

u: [29320x6 double]
reacf: [29320x6 double] (6906 stored)
plist: [10 100 1000 10000 100000 1000000]
pname: {'Ra'}

Six parameters were assigned to produce six solutions - six sequential increments of the Raleigh number.

Many thanks if you can shed any light

2 Replies Last Post 8 giu 2010, 15:16 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 giu 2010, 06:17 GMT-4
Hi

if I remeber right you should turn ON the calcuations of the time derivatives (if not already on) in the COMSOL GUI its in the "Solver Manager Output tab", bottm of page.

Then I use "postinterp" to fetch the values in matlab (check the command.pdf an related docs)

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi if I remeber right you should turn ON the calcuations of the time derivatives (if not already on) in the COMSOL GUI its in the "Solver Manager Output tab", bottm of page. Then I use "postinterp" to fetch the values in matlab (check the command.pdf an related docs) Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 giu 2010, 15:16 GMT-4
That is great help, but I think I need a little more. My aim is to process the data independently of the built-in functions using my own equations, then compare the results to COMSOL. Where might I find a guide to the structure and organization of the data in the fem.sol.u matrix?

Thanks!
That is great help, but I think I need a little more. My aim is to process the data independently of the built-in functions using my own equations, then compare the results to COMSOL. Where might I find a guide to the structure and organization of the data in the fem.sol.u matrix? Thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.