Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency sweep - Help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey guys,

My goal is to plot the dispersion diagram of a single-wire transmission line, aka sommerfeld wave (or goubau line).

1st try:
I used the 2D perpendicular hybrid wave application mode. I did mode analysis (see attached file if you like). According to the analytical solution and the expected field lines, I found the proper effective mode index (1.00something) at 1 GHz frequency.

My question : How can i sweep this frequency to get the dispersion curve?

My problem: If i use parametric solver instead of eigenmode solver it will not calculate the mode that i want.

I hope I get a response, thanks in advance!
Mil

5 Replies Last Post 8 ago 2010, 14:31 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 mag 2010, 01:59 GMT-4
Hi

indeed in v3.5 I do not see any other way than to loop it via matlab by changing your scalar nu... the nominal frequency. In V4 its easier to set up custom sweeps, but 4.0 is still slightly éimiting, but your case like that should go, have you tried ?

Sorry, in v3.5a what about the solve parametric sweep option, the result will be a series of files should work

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi indeed in v3.5 I do not see any other way than to loop it via matlab by changing your scalar nu... the nominal frequency. In V4 its easier to set up custom sweeps, but 4.0 is still slightly éimiting, but your case like that should go, have you tried ? Sorry, in v3.5a what about the solve parametric sweep option, the result will be a series of files should work Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 mag 2010, 02:31 GMT-4
Thank you! worked like a charm.

I was expecting it to do the same as the parametric solver. I understand why its there now.

cheers!
Thank you! worked like a charm. I was expecting it to do the same as the parametric solver. I understand why its there now. cheers!

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 mag 2010, 02:41 GMT-4
A follow up question, this time a bit more involved electromagnetically.

The Sommerfeld wave (the mode of choice) is well known to be a TM mode. However, only the mode solver of the hybrid application mode is able to find this mode, and not the TM application mode.
I already know the propagation constant so its easy to look for it and spotting it.

any help is appreciated,
kind regards,
mil
A follow up question, this time a bit more involved electromagnetically. The Sommerfeld wave (the mode of choice) is well known to be a TM mode. However, only the mode solver of the hybrid application mode is able to find this mode, and not the TM application mode. I already know the propagation constant so its easy to look for it and spotting it. any help is appreciated, kind regards, mil

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 mag 2010, 11:36 GMT-4
Hi

well I'm not sure what to answer, the hybride mode is the full theory, no ? perhaps required to form correctly the desired TM wave ?

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi well I'm not sure what to answer, the hybride mode is the full theory, no ? perhaps required to form correctly the desired TM wave ? Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 ago 2010, 14:31 GMT-4
hi my dear
in comsol v4
how can i plot dispersion v.s wave lenght?
in photonic crystal
hi my dear in comsol v4 how can i plot dispersion v.s wave lenght? in photonic crystal

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.