Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact and thermal expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am having a big problem with contact, I realise that It has to be a parametric study as transiant is not supported. I have a stack of cylinders (like a stack of coins) the upper most boundary and the lower most are fixed or set to symmetric boundary. The temperature of the cylinders is the varying parameters, there is a coulomb contact friction between the cylinders of 0.8. Every time the model fails to converge from the augmented Lagrangian solver. All the advice in the documentation has been followed the cylinders are meshed appropriately for their master and slave configuration. I have even tried the tip in the documentation of letting them over lap and have the contact algorithm force them apart. In the documentation they have no physics based drivers for contact it is all prescribed displacements.

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. I have been stuck for quite some time. and am a little bit concerned that this can be done in abaqus in a few minutes.

Rizgar

0 Replies Last Post 3 apr 2010, 06:35 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rizgar Mella

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.