Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Display results on a different geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I've got the following problem:

I'm calculating the temperature and displacement field in an axis-symmetric pressure plate (basically a circular ring) of a clutch system using the "Weak Form"-Physics Interface (Comsol 4.4).

The model will later be coupled with a exterior pressure field, which demands a dimension-free notation.
Thus my circular ring has dimensions of [0.66-1]x[0-1] (radius-height).

For presentation purposes I'd like to display my 2D field results on the original geometry of the pressure plate ([0.074 m - 0.1125 m]x[0 m - 0.0123m]).

How do I do that? Any ideas?

Thank you,
Simon

4 Replies Last Post 25 mar 2014, 05:47 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 mar 2014, 10:22 GMT-4
Hi,

I may have found a way to solve my problem:

In my dimension-free model (Model 1) I am defining a general extrusion. In the Desination Map of the extrusion I am entering the scaling factor between my two geometries. Then I am adding a new component with the geometry with dimensions and a random PDGL (Model 2).
After computing both models I am creating a 2D Plot for the model 2 with the Expression comp1.genext1(T1).
So I am basically mapping my Solutions from the dimension-free geometry to the geometry with dimensions.

This works so far, but the expression is only evaluated for the initial timestep. Changing the timestep in the plot-window doesn't help.

How do I specify a timestep in the expression comp1.genext1(T1)?

Thank you,
Simon

PS: Of course I am open to other solutions for the initial problem...
Hi, I may have found a way to solve my problem: In my dimension-free model (Model 1) I am defining a general extrusion. In the Desination Map of the extrusion I am entering the scaling factor between my two geometries. Then I am adding a new component with the geometry with dimensions and a random PDGL (Model 2). After computing both models I am creating a 2D Plot for the model 2 with the Expression comp1.genext1(T1). So I am basically mapping my Solutions from the dimension-free geometry to the geometry with dimensions. This works so far, but the expression is only evaluated for the initial timestep. Changing the timestep in the plot-window doesn't help. How do I specify a timestep in the expression comp1.genext1(T1)? Thank you, Simon PS: Of course I am open to other solutions for the initial problem...

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 mar 2014, 12:31 GMT-4
Hi,

Yes, you can specify a time using the "at" operator. It can be any time in the simulation time span; COMSOL uses interpolation in between the specified output times. For example,

comp1.genext1(at(5,T1))

uses T1 evaluated at the time 5 s.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, Yes, you can specify a time using the "at" operator. It can be any time in the simulation time span; COMSOL uses interpolation in between the specified output times. For example, comp1.genext1(at(5,T1)) uses T1 evaluated at the time 5 s. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mar 2014, 03:59 GMT-4
Hi,

thank you Magnus for your answer. Unfortunately, the 2D Plot still displays only the initial timestep.
Maybe thats the wrong way.

Does anyone have a better idea to display my dimensionsfree solution on the original geometry?

Thank you,
Simon
Hi, thank you Magnus for your answer. Unfortunately, the 2D Plot still displays only the initial timestep. Maybe thats the wrong way. Does anyone have a better idea to display my dimensionsfree solution on the original geometry? Thank you, Simon

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mar 2014, 05:47 GMT-4
Hi,

I found a solution:

First of all - solving both components in one study always helps *g*

And I needed to scale the source map and not the destination map.

Thank you for your help,
Simon
Hi, I found a solution: First of all - solving both components in one study always helps *g* And I needed to scale the source map and not the destination map. Thank you for your help, Simon

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.