Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of Stirling Engine

Mikael Noerregaard Nielsen

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody

I'm currently trying to simulate the fluid flow in a stirling engine (beta) which I've built from the following video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2qssmxA82U
You should try building it;-)

My problem is that I'm not very experienced using COMSOL (only made one model before using the CFD-module) so I'm having quite a bit of difficulty setting the model up. I'm following a CFD course (no heat transfer course though) at my university but we don't use COMSOL but MATLAB. I wanna start off slow with the COMSOL model by trying to just model the free convective flow which occurs when heat is added to the bottom of the "can" and water cooling to the sides at the top.

My questions are as follows:

I) Which physics should be used? Conjugate heat transfer or non-isothermal flow or some other?
II) In the model I've tried using the Convective Cooling but should I just use a negative heat flux instead?
III) Why is the wall condition (no slip) not satisfied?
IV) Do the initial values act as a boundary condition or are they just a guess for the solver to initiate the calculations?

I've added a model which shows the geometry and what I've tried to add to the model but pay no heap to the number/parameters as I've just been playing around a bit.

Thanks

Mikael

5 Replies Last Post 4 ago 2013, 14:13 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 apr 2013, 10:22 GMT-4
Hi Mikael,

I also build an beta engine and would love to model it - can I ask is the comsol cfd opensource or free to download?
Hi Mikael, I also build an beta engine and would love to model it - can I ask is the comsol cfd opensource or free to download?

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 mag 2013, 08:36 GMT-4
Sorry for the very late reply!

Of course you can use it although its no where near being accurate. If you want me to I can upload the model when I get it working.

Best regards

Mikael
Sorry for the very late reply! Of course you can use it although its no where near being accurate. If you want me to I can upload the model when I get it working. Best regards Mikael

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 ago 2013, 02:31 GMT-4
Hi!

Are you still in this? Have you got any success?

regards,
zhivko
Hi! Are you still in this? Have you got any success? regards, zhivko

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 ago 2013, 07:26 GMT-4
Hello Mikael,

Here is one version of model.

Best regards

Tero Hietanen
Hello Mikael, Here is one version of model. Best regards Tero Hietanen

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 ago 2013, 14:13 GMT-4

Hi!

Are you still in this? Have you got any success?

regards,
zhivko

Hi Zhivko

I just got back from a holiday so sorry for the lack of respons. Never got a fully working model running. I'll check out the model from Tero soon (tomorrow) but you are welcome to look at my model if you're interested.
Best regards
Mikael
[QUOTE] Hi! Are you still in this? Have you got any success? regards, zhivko [/QUOTE] Hi Zhivko I just got back from a holiday so sorry for the lack of respons. Never got a fully working model running. I'll check out the model from Tero soon (tomorrow) but you are welcome to look at my model if you're interested. Best regards Mikael

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.