Field Enhancement

Gopika Gopalakrishnan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

What is the procedure for getting the field enhancement of a nanogap?

1 Reply Last Post 8 feb 2024, 09:55 GMT-5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 months ago 8 feb 2024, 09:55 GMT-5
Updated: 3 months ago 8 feb 2024, 09:59 GMT-5

I don't know anything specific about nanogaps, but if/when I want to compute the electric field on/around some pointy geometric entity, I employ a relatively fine mesh on the boundary, compute the fields, and then inspect/plot the fields in that region. Meshing makes a difference here. If you need high confidence, keep refining the mesh, constraining it to be high quality, and re-running the model until the field value at the points/edges/surfaces in question stops changing too much. If you have the time and memory, then maybe consider a higher element discretization (e.g., cubic or quadratic instead of linear). You may also see differences in values plotted if you turn on/off various degrees of smoothing in the plot. Inspect the plot in detail without smoothing, if you want to check if your mesh seems sane/fine enough. Strong gradients in field between adjacent mesh elements may be cause for additional attention, and likely finer meshing, there. You don't have to mesh everywhere super-finely, just where the (if serious) field enhancement occurs. And you can usually guess where that is going to be (or is likely to be) in advance. I also sometimes employ probes (surface or volume) to quantify or locate maximum fields, since the max field is often of interest when studying field enhancement. There are also analytic approximations / sanity checks you can apply (you know, the sorts of things people used to do, such as conformal mapping, before these wonderful codes and computers made our lives so easy).

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I don't know anything specific about nanogaps, but if/when I want to compute the electric field on/around some pointy geometric entity, I employ a relatively fine mesh on the boundary, compute the fields, and then inspect/plot the fields in that region. Meshing makes a difference here. If you need high confidence, keep refining the mesh, constraining it to be high quality, and re-running the model until the field value at the points/edges/surfaces in question stops changing too much. If you have the time and memory, then *maybe* consider a higher element discretization (e.g., cubic or quadratic instead of linear). You may also see differences in values plotted if you turn on/off various degrees of smoothing in the plot. Inspect the plot in detail without smoothing, if you want to check if your mesh seems sane/fine enough. Strong gradients in field between adjacent mesh elements may be cause for additional attention, and likely finer meshing, there. You don't have to mesh everywhere super-finely, just where the (if serious) field enhancement occurs. And you can usually guess *where* that is going to be (or is likely to be) in advance. I also sometimes employ probes (surface or volume) to quantify or locate maximum fields, since the max field is often of interest when studying field enhancement. There are also analytic approximations / sanity checks you can apply (you know, the sorts of things people used to do, such as conformal mapping, before these wonderful codes and computers made our lives so easy).

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.