Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can shell unit link with solid unit directly?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to calculate the eigenfrequency of the sturcture below (in the attachment),but I am not sure whether the model I built is reasonable, can anybody help me check it ?

(I use shell unit in above plate and solid unit in the middle part)

2 Replies Last Post 28 nov 2012, 22:19 GMT-5
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 nov 2012, 09:56 GMT-5
Conceptually linking the shells to the solids should not be a problem. You should constrain the displacements of the shell to be same as those of the solid at the same location. What’s harder is accurately constraining the shell rotations.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Conceptually linking the shells to the solids should not be a problem. You should constrain the displacements of the shell to be same as those of the solid at the same location. What’s harder is accurately constraining the shell rotations. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 nov 2012, 22:19 GMT-5
I am so thankful for your answer,but how to make the displacement of shell the same as solid in the same location?
And I have another question, does the surface using shell unit present the middle surface of the thin plate?
I am so thankful for your answer,but how to make the displacement of shell the same as solid in the same location? And I have another question, does the surface using shell unit present the middle surface of the thin plate?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.