Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Best way to switch on fields in time-dependent simulations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Is there a kind of recommendable way of switching on fields in transient emw-simulations. Right now, I'm using the step-function, included in Comsol, and I have some problems with the converge of the solver. So is it worthy do modify the the time-profile of the turn on process? And if so, what are more suitable choices than Comsol step-function?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Felix

2 Replies Last Post 29 ott 2012, 11:37 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 ott 2012, 13:39 GMT-4
Hi

for me the step function works OK, often one must leave something more than step()=0 at t=0 (by default step() starts at 0.5 at t=0), and then define 3-4 time steps during the step ramp (and during the rect() lowering from 1 to 0)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for me the step function works OK, often one must leave something more than step()=0 at t=0 (by default step() starts at 0.5 at t=0), and then define 3-4 time steps during the step ramp (and during the rect() lowering from 1 to 0) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 ott 2012, 11:37 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

Thanks a lot for your help. The hint of not setting the value of step(t=0) too close to 0 was very helpful.

Best,
Felix
Hi Ivar, Thanks a lot for your help. The hint of not setting the value of step(t=0) too close to 0 was very helpful. Best, Felix

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.