Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

effective index change with temperature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Has anyone done simulation for effective index change vs temperature for silicon nitride or any material based waveguide?

I would like to use nichole chromium as a heater element. Please guide me

3 Replies Last Post 7 giu 2023, 14:43 GMT-4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 11 months ago 26 mag 2023, 15:45 GMT-4
Updated: 11 months ago 2 giu 2023, 13:53 GMT-4

Hello Vishal,

Can you clarify?

Is it that you know how the refractive index of silicon nitride changes with temperature and you are looking for advice on how to account for this in a COMSOL model? Or are you looking for someone to tell you how the refractive index of silicon nitride changes with temperature? Or are you hoping that someone has already determined by way of a COMSOL model how the refractive index of silicon nitride changes with temperature (that seems like a long shot)? or something else?

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Vishal, Can you clarify? Is it that you know how the refractive index of silicon nitride changes with temperature and you are looking for advice on how to account for this in a COMSOL model? Or are you looking for someone to tell you how the refractive index of silicon nitride changes with temperature? Or are you hoping that someone has already determined by way of a COMSOL model how the refractive index of silicon nitride changes with temperature (that seems like a long shot)? or something else? Jeff

Posted: 11 months ago 7 giu 2023, 14:30 GMT-4

Hi Jeff,

My question is as follow,

I want to use metal heater on top of waveguide. I will give DC bias to metal heater, it will generate heat. This heat will transfer to underlying layers of waveguide. I have silicon nitride waveguide on top of the silicon oxide cladding.

Now heat transfer will change temperature in silicon nitride and silicon oxide layer. I have equations to model refractive index with temperature. My concern is how to use temperature data for each layer of waveguide.

In short, based on DC bias, get heat profile. Based on Heat profile, get temeprature data for each layer. How can I achieve this everything in one simulation.

Thanks Vishal

Hi Jeff, My question is as follow, I want to use metal heater on top of waveguide. I will give DC bias to metal heater, it will generate heat. This heat will transfer to underlying layers of waveguide. I have silicon nitride waveguide on top of the silicon oxide cladding. Now heat transfer will change temperature in silicon nitride and silicon oxide layer. I have equations to model refractive index with temperature. My concern is how to use temperature data for each layer of waveguide. In short, based on DC bias, get heat profile. Based on Heat profile, get temeprature data for each layer. How can I achieve this everything in one simulation. Thanks Vishal

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 11 months ago 7 giu 2023, 14:43 GMT-4

Hello Vishal,

In that case, it's just a matter of employing interpolation functions to specify the refractive index of each material in your RF simulation step, after having performed a preliminary Joule heating simulation step. See the Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics, or this Discussion Forum, for more information on interpolation functions.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Vishal, In that case, it's just a matter of employing interpolation functions to specify the refractive index of each material in your RF simulation step, after having performed a preliminary Joule heating simulation step. See the Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics, or this Discussion Forum, for more information on interpolation functions. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.