Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to check mass balance?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any way to check the mass balance in Comsol? It's kind of hard and time consuming to calculate the mass balance by hand, so does Comsol provide it for users by default?

If anyone can help me, I will really appreciate

Thanks

Simin

1 Reply Last Post 1 set 2012, 14:54 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 set 2012, 14:54 GMT-4
Hi,

This is simple, of course, you should know what goes in, what goes out, what stays in and the sources and sinks. You can track this using time integration of boundary fluxes and integration of mass within the domain at each and every time step.

For this you should use global ODEs and integration facility under model couplings (for time integrated boundary flux across appropriate boundaries) and the integration facility (again under model couplings) to evaluate what stays inside the domain.

I am not aware of any default facility in COMSOL unlike other customised software.

Suresh
Hi, This is simple, of course, you should know what goes in, what goes out, what stays in and the sources and sinks. You can track this using time integration of boundary fluxes and integration of mass within the domain at each and every time step. For this you should use global ODEs and integration facility under model couplings (for time integrated boundary flux across appropriate boundaries) and the integration facility (again under model couplings) to evaluate what stays inside the domain. I am not aware of any default facility in COMSOL unlike other customised software. Suresh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.