Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to apply force on mesh node?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all, I'm a new user of Comsol. I would try to perform a frequency response function of a classical alluminum plate by applying a force in a node of the mesh and measuring as output the accelerations of some nodes.How can I load forces on mesh nodes instead of geometry entities?

4 Replies Last Post 5 lug 2022, 01:54 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 4 lug 2022, 07:32 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 4 lug 2022, 07:33 GMT-4

Since you do not have direct control over where the mesh nodes are located unless you actually have a point there, it seems most natural to add a point and use Point Load.

If you do not want to do that (for example because the mesh is imported), you can use Point Load, Free. There, you enter the coordinates of the load application point. If that happens to be the same as the coordinates of a mesh node, then it has the same effect as a force on a node.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Since you do not have direct control over where the mesh nodes are located unless you actually have a point there, it seems most natural to add a point and use *Point Load*. If you do not want to do that (for example because the mesh is imported), you can use *Point Load, Free*. There, you enter the coordinates of the load application point. If that happens to be the same as the coordinates of a mesh node, then it has the same effect as a force on a node.

Posted: 2 years ago 4 lug 2022, 11:38 GMT-4

Dear Henrik Sönnerlind: Thanks for your answer! What's bothering me at the moment is that I'm trying to apply mesh nodal forces, but I think I'm applying a point load through the point load command, and there's a difference between a nodal force and a point load. I would like to ask, how to implement the application of nodal force in COMSOL?

Dear Henrik Sönnerlind: Thanks for your answer! What's bothering me at the moment is that I'm trying to apply mesh nodal forces, but I think I'm applying a point load through the point load command, and there's a difference between a nodal force and a point load. I would like to ask, how to implement the application of nodal force in COMSOL?

Posted: 2 years ago 4 lug 2022, 11:42 GMT-4

I think there is a difference between nodal force and point load. The point load command and the point load free command in COMSOL are point loads, not nodal forces.

I think there is a difference between nodal force and point load. The point load command and the point load free command in COMSOL are point loads, not nodal forces.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 5 lug 2022, 01:54 GMT-4

A point load is a nodal force.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
A point load is a nodal force.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.