Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using dependent variable values at specific points on a boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

[Conjugate Heat Transfer v4.0a]
[2D Stationary study]

I want to use the temperature at two fluid-solid boundaries to generate the boundary condition of heat generation at one boundary. Something like: Flux at boundary 1 = f(T at boundary 1, T at boundary 2). Boundary 1 and 2 have the same x-location, different y-location.

I have tried defining local variables with geometric scope at the boundary (e.g. Tb1 defined as mod1.T, geom scope at Boundary 1) but when it computes for the boundary condition using Tb1 in the expression, it says that it "fails to evaluate variable".

I also want to get a point-by-point value for the boundary condition so I would not prefer integrating/averaging the temperature over each boundary.

In essence, this is a boundary condition dependent on the dependent variable (T) which is also dependent on position. How could I do this in COMSOL?

Thanks!

--
Abe

2 Replies Last Post 6 set 2012, 23:14 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Abe Calde

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 set 2012, 14:16 GMT-4
Abe,

I have the exact same problem, and I get the exact same error.

If you have resolve the problem, could you share the solution please?

--
Shawn
Abe, I have the exact same problem, and I get the exact same error. If you have resolve the problem, could you share the solution please? -- Shawn

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 set 2012, 23:14 GMT-4
Hi

if your boundaries are not overlapping you need to use a projection operator to "project" the value of one boundary onto the other to be able to define an equation linkeing two fields by the boundary coordinates. See the projection operator, and try out some SIMPLE example first, once you grasp tem you will see it's easy ;)

there are also already a few examples on the forum, try a search

Another point try to get hands on a newer version v4.0 was really an "early issue" and has greatly improved since

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if your boundaries are not overlapping you need to use a projection operator to "project" the value of one boundary onto the other to be able to define an equation linkeing two fields by the boundary coordinates. See the projection operator, and try out some SIMPLE example first, once you grasp tem you will see it's easy ;) there are also already a few examples on the forum, try a search Another point try to get hands on a newer version v4.0 was really an "early issue" and has greatly improved since -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.