Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Evaluating resonant frequency.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear sir,
I have modeled a mems piezoresistive pressure sensor. I have included only the solid mechanics module.
I want to know how to find the resonant frequency of the structure ? Plz tell me in detail if i have to include any other physics module and which options i should use.
Thanking you

2 Replies Last Post 22 giu 2012, 15:51 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 giu 2012, 14:24 GMT-4
Hi

the natural resonance frequencies are obtained from a structure if the geometry is fixed correctly and you run an eigenfrequency analysis on it, only SOLID is required. However, you might want to add some damping depending on how your structure is assembled or if it interacts with its surrounding.
The easiest is to add a damping sub node to the solid - linear elastic material node. But perhaps you need to consider fluid damping in which case you need to add additional fluid models and more (check the library model of a damped MEMS resonator).
In any case start simple (no damping then add complexity by steps

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the natural resonance frequencies are obtained from a structure if the geometry is fixed correctly and you run an eigenfrequency analysis on it, only SOLID is required. However, you might want to add some damping depending on how your structure is assembled or if it interacts with its surrounding. The easiest is to add a damping sub node to the solid - linear elastic material node. But perhaps you need to consider fluid damping in which case you need to add additional fluid models and more (check the library model of a damped MEMS resonator). In any case start simple (no damping then add complexity by steps -- Good luck Ivar

Bjorn Sjodin COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 giu 2012, 15:51 GMT-4
The new version of the MEMS Module has 3 new dedicated user interfaces for piezoresistivity. Please see:
www.comsol.com/products/4.3/#mems
for more information.
The new version of the MEMS Module has 3 new dedicated user interfaces for piezoresistivity. Please see: http://www.comsol.com/products/4.3/#mems for more information.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.