Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using 2D solution as initial condition for 3d simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a solution in 2D and have created a 3D geometry in the same file (as another model) and would like to use the solution from the converged 2D geometry as the initial condition for the 3D geometry. I feel like this task should be relatively straight forward yet I have not been able to figure it out. Any insight?

7 Replies Last Post 25 giu 2012, 14:16 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 giu 2012, 14:35 GMT-4
Hi

as often I would say yes and no (more or less straight forward)
you might need to define a extrusion operator, to map the 2D results to a full 3D domain, or you use the initial conditions in such a way that you refer back to only the 2D dimensions.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi as often I would say yes and no (more or less straight forward) you might need to define a extrusion operator, to map the 2D results to a full 3D domain, or you use the initial conditions in such a way that you refer back to only the 2D dimensions. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 giu 2012, 05:00 GMT-4

I have a solution in 2D and have created a 3D geometry in the same file (as another model) and would like to use the solution from the converged 2D geometry as the initial condition for the 3D geometry. I feel like this task should be relatively straight forward yet I have not been able to figure it out. Any insight?

I also have the same problem, anyone submits the correct model containg the general extrusion model coupling?
Thanks a lot! About the answers from the Ivar, it is difficult to understand.
[QUOTE] I have a solution in 2D and have created a 3D geometry in the same file (as another model) and would like to use the solution from the converged 2D geometry as the initial condition for the 3D geometry. I feel like this task should be relatively straight forward yet I have not been able to figure it out. Any insight? [/QUOTE] I also have the same problem, anyone submits the correct model containg the general extrusion model coupling? Thanks a lot! About the answers from the Ivar, it is difficult to understand.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 giu 2012, 08:54 GMT-4
Hi

here is an example, if you read carefully the doc and help files, and correctly interpret the order of mapping or extrusion operations it will be easier ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi here is an example, if you read carefully the doc and help files, and correctly interpret the order of mapping or extrusion operations it will be easier ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 giu 2012, 09:44 GMT-4
Thanks a lot! But I can not open the document, I use the V4.2 a. Is it written in Version 4.3?
Thanks a lot! But I can not open the document, I use the V4.2 a. Is it written in Version 4.3?

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 giu 2012, 10:09 GMT-4
Hi

you are right that was 4.3, but you are lucky I still have a 4.2a running here it is

Do not forgget to use the solver 2 stationary node bottom: turn on the Values of dependent variables to point to the first simulation

I hope its more or less what you wanted ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are right that was 4.3, but you are lucky I still have a 4.2a running here it is Do not forgget to use the solver 2 stationary node bottom: turn on the Values of dependent variables to point to the first simulation I hope its more or less what you wanted ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 giu 2012, 12:15 GMT-4
What I would like to do, is to take a 2-D solution and extrude it into the 3D domain. It seems your example only puts the solution on a boundary. For example, in fluid dynamics one might solve the cylinder in cross-flow in 2D and extrude that solution along the length of the cylinder (all same solution from 2D along the cylinder) as an initial condition for the 3D solution. No point in using all the compute power to get to a solution that is already found. Do you have a quick example that does that? The same HT would work.
What I would like to do, is to take a 2-D solution and extrude it into the 3D domain. It seems your example only puts the solution on a boundary. For example, in fluid dynamics one might solve the cylinder in cross-flow in 2D and extrude that solution along the length of the cylinder (all same solution from 2D along the cylinder) as an initial condition for the 3D solution. No point in using all the compute power to get to a solution that is already found. Do you have a quick example that does that? The same HT would work.

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 giu 2012, 14:16 GMT-4
Hi

if you look carefully I do map it to the lower surface, but I map it also to the initial conditions of the lower 3D domain. But you should be able to do the same to another BC, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you look carefully I do map it to the lower surface, but I map it also to the initial conditions of the lower 3D domain. But you should be able to do the same to another BC, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.