Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Times for calculation steps? Trying to find out why COMSOL takes much too long to solve

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am simulating a time dependent, non- linear and rotating model of an electrical machine.

Problem is that the solving takes much too long.

When I solve an equal model with an equal amount of nodes in a Finite Differences program, written by my prof, it takes 5 minutes for 300ms. When I do it in COMSOL it takes 3-4 days for 300ms. Both progs use the same fixed time step. The results are petty equal.

Now I want to know why and where COMSOL needs such an huge amount of time to solve my model.

Is it somehow possible to analyze in which calculation step COMSOL needs the most time etc.?

For example:

Creating Mesh Time: x seconds
doing this: y seconds
doing That: z seconds
etc.

Maybe there is something like a statistic for solving times just like there is for mesh statistics.

Thanks in advance

0 Replies Last Post 21 giu 2012, 10:32 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.