Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PID Control Working---but can't get up to set point

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey guys,

Here I have a pipe in which air is entering it, contacting a heat source, and leaving it.

I have a control algorithm programmed in COMSOL which is working...but it's saying that my achieved steady state in the process response is something that isn't my set point.

I.e., my set point is 343 C (air temp) but when I look at the temp profile it will control it, without oscillations, to like 320. I've played around with parameters for hours...but some just crash the program or others dont get to my set point. I found that if i multiply the algorithm by like 5e+05, and have my parameters as P = 1, I = 0, D=0, it doesnt crash but doesn't get to the right set point.

Any ideas? Do you think it's just a matter of setting my parameters correctly? I can't get up to the set point at all.

Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post 20 giu 2012, 16:03 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 giu 2012, 16:03 GMT-4
Hi

a few questions:

- you talk about a set "point" but are you in 2D, 3D or 1D ? and how do you define the temperature of a point if you are in 2D ?

If you want to set the temperature of a BOUNADRY to a given value, and is not interested in the details of the PID controller, just to ensure the correct local temperature driven by your heat sorce => you can do that with a weak equation, adapting your heat source Q such that your aveop1(T)-T0 = 0 where aveop1() is an operator defined on the boundary. You can then define your gain in W/K by doing a sensitivity anaalysis of your T0

With T take care to use the right units as differential K and °C are the same, but not at all in absolute and COMSOL works by default in absolute Kelvin

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi a few questions: - you talk about a set "point" but are you in 2D, 3D or 1D ? and how do you define the temperature of a point if you are in 2D ? If you want to set the temperature of a BOUNADRY to a given value, and is not interested in the details of the PID controller, just to ensure the correct local temperature driven by your heat sorce => you can do that with a weak equation, adapting your heat source Q such that your aveop1(T)-T0 = 0 where aveop1() is an operator defined on the boundary. You can then define your gain in W/K by doing a sensitivity anaalysis of your T0 With T take care to use the right units as differential K and °C are the same, but not at all in absolute and COMSOL works by default in absolute Kelvin -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.