Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Eddy current losses in variable reluctance machine

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am modeling a variable reluctance machine where a magnetic field is generated by the stator windings and the rotor rotates in order to minimize the relucatance of the magnetic circuits. I am using the magnetic fields interface in a static study.

If possible I would like to calculate eddy current losses in the motor core, how do I model these correctly? Or should I just use apply some B^2*f^2 to my resulting dataset and integrate wrt time? Is it sufficient to apply a Lorentz velocity term to the rotating regions? That won't take care of the eddy current losses in the stator?

How about hysteresis losses, as I've understood it Comsol does not support this feature? Again, would it be a useful to apply a function like C*B^2*f to your solution data set and then integrate? How do you do that?

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,
Mike

1 Reply Last Post 9 mag 2012, 15:13 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 mag 2012, 15:13 GMT-4
Hi

Eddy currents implies MEF physics hence solving for both A and V, that is far heavier than MF physics (only solving for A), so I woud suggest start with MF (without Eddy currents, then move your working model to MEF with the Eddy currents.

For hysteresis it's trickier, as you would need to have time or previous value dependent material characteristics dependence. One way to approach this is to run a time series over a full period (for harmonic cases) with an appropriate time driving material characterisitics then estimate the rms values, and then use the rms heat generated or whatever for a time series solving model

for RF there are a few solvers set up for this combining frequency domain and transient or stationary, check the doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Eddy currents implies MEF physics hence solving for both A and V, that is far heavier than MF physics (only solving for A), so I woud suggest start with MF (without Eddy currents, then move your working model to MEF with the Eddy currents. For hysteresis it's trickier, as you would need to have time or previous value dependent material characteristics dependence. One way to approach this is to run a time series over a full period (for harmonic cases) with an appropriate time driving material characterisitics then estimate the rms values, and then use the rms heat generated or whatever for a time series solving model for RF there are a few solvers set up for this combining frequency domain and transient or stationary, check the doc -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.