Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromagnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Comsol community and it's members,

I have modelled an electromagnet, where the Yoke has 2 coils near the split (Please see the attached mph file) . I want to check how saturation of the Iron Yoke varies with increasing field B. I have solved the linear problem, where miu(r) (relative permeability) is constant (4000). Now I want to solve the problem non linearly, where Miu(r) depends on B, or H depends on B, but the problem is, when I make "user defined" miu(r) or "HB curve- User Defined H" and input a function, Comsol solves it, but ignores the Iron Core completely! Plus, the values of the Magnetic field goes sky high up to thousands of Tesla, which is "probably" not physical.
I hope you'll be able to help me with this problem,
Many Thanks in advance,
Konstantin

2 Replies Last Post 8 mar 2012, 08:20 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 mar 2012, 07:25 GMT-5
Hi!

I have modified your file: soft iron with losses as example. The HB-curve is defined in the material.
You have to add an extra Ampere's Law for the iron part and change Magnetic Field definition to HB-curve.
Air domain should be left to mur=1.

Ralf
Hi! I have modified your file: soft iron with losses as example. The HB-curve is defined in the material. You have to add an extra Ampere's Law for the iron part and change Magnetic Field definition to HB-curve. Air domain should be left to mur=1. Ralf

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 mar 2012, 08:20 GMT-5
Thank you Ralf!
Very nice results!!!
Now I'll try to understand how you did it.
Konstantin
Thank you Ralf! Very nice results!!! Now I'll try to understand how you did it. Konstantin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.