Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particle tracing for fluid flow module: calculation of forces.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am writing about the particle tracing for fluid flow module.
I'm simulating the transport of colloids in porous media.
My total domain has size 1200 x 1900 μm and I have recreated the grains of the porous medium with circles (one of radius 250 μm).
In my study there are forces (Van der Waals force and electric double layer force) acting between particles and grains of the porous medium. These forces are significantly different from zero only in a domain of a few tens of nm (near the porous medium grains).
I have implemented these forces as analytic functions and then I have used them in the particle tracing for fluid flow module in the section Force.
These forces (in particular the electric double layer force) have a non-monotonic trend but they have minimum and maximum in the narrow domain in which they act.
I wonder if Comsol, when calculates these forces, does it in an analytical way or if it calculates them only in the nodes and then interpolates.
In this last case, given that I can’t do a mesh so thick (size less than 10 nm), I fear that the trend of forces is not correctly recreated near the grains of the porous medium.

Thanks for reply,

Francesca

1 Reply Last Post 30 apr 2012, 20:41 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Francesca Messina

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 apr 2012, 20:41 GMT-4
Hi Franchesca,

I'm thinking into doing something similar, I want to model the EDL around junus particles, although I know, I must made my model at nanometer scale, I don't know if it is possible. I haven't found any article that have made that for a lot of particles which is what I need. If you have found something please contact me.
Hi Franchesca, I'm thinking into doing something similar, I want to model the EDL around junus particles, although I know, I must made my model at nanometer scale, I don't know if it is possible. I haven't found any article that have made that for a lot of particles which is what I need. If you have found something please contact me.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.