Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have created a 3D model with rectangular blocks and an ellipsoid on the top surface of the block (with half inside the block and half outside the block).

When I choose automatic physics based meshing, I am getting the following error "Internal error in boundary respecting" at the boundaries of the ellipsoid and the rectangular block top surface.

Please give all possible suggestions that can correct this error.

Thanks,

Sri Kamal

1 Reply Last Post 21 feb 2012, 02:27 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 feb 2012, 02:27 GMT-5
Hi

I have probably not manange to reproduce your geometry, as my test is meshing, automatically as well as manually, even with a boundary mesh around the ellispoid.

But there can be cases where the mesher has issues, such as tangeant curved surfaces touching at one "point" and not over a surface, looped geometry (thorus or doughnut shapes) etc. Often you can get away by eiterh using a finer mesh or by manually meshing the parts starting in the inner and going outwards by layers. Or even by cutting the geometry by a or a few planes to have smaller parts/domains to mesh

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have probably not manange to reproduce your geometry, as my test is meshing, automatically as well as manually, even with a boundary mesh around the ellispoid. But there can be cases where the mesher has issues, such as tangeant curved surfaces touching at one "point" and not over a surface, looped geometry (thorus or doughnut shapes) etc. Often you can get away by eiterh using a finer mesh or by manually meshing the parts starting in the inner and going outwards by layers. Or even by cutting the geometry by a or a few planes to have smaller parts/domains to mesh -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.