Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parametric Sweep and results saving and visualization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm using the Parametric Sweep in order to run some structural static analyses with several steps defined by a parameter. The parameter operates on the boundary conditions of the model (changing the prescribed displacement from a minimum value to a maximum in some steps).

The software solves the model for all the steps but in the post processing, I can view only the results of last step of these static analyses. I don't know how to get the results of the other steps.

How can I get, save and view the results of the other steps of the analyses?

Thank you in advance.

4 Replies Last Post 24 gen 2012, 09:54 CET
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 gen 2012, 15:14 CET
Hi

first of all you have two "parametric sweeps" the continuation on a steady state solver, or the specific parametric sweep node, I assume you have chosen the "continuation" one.

normally your data set is then divided into a set of results, and you chose in the main plot menu one , a few or all of the resolved data steps (If its a full Parametric sweep node then you might have several Data sets and you must switch data sets

If you use a derived value for post processing, you get tables with the first column the Parameter value and the full list of results

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all you have two "parametric sweeps" the continuation on a steady state solver, or the specific parametric sweep node, I assume you have chosen the "continuation" one. normally your data set is then divided into a set of results, and you chose in the main plot menu one , a few or all of the resolved data steps (If its a full Parametric sweep node then you might have several Data sets and you must switch data sets If you use a derived value for post processing, you get tables with the first column the Parameter value and the full list of results -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 gen 2012, 15:47 CET
Thank you for your quick and kind answer.

As I am a new in using Comsol, I don't understand two sentences of your answer.

The first one is that I don't know the difference between "parametric sweep" as the continuation on a steady state solver and the specific parametric sweep node.

The second one is that in the Results section, where I see only one data set. Maybe I have chosen the wrong option in Parametric sweep.

I have attached my file I used for the simulation if it can help.
Thank you for your quick and kind answer. As I am a new in using Comsol, I don't understand two sentences of your answer. The first one is that I don't know the difference between "parametric sweep" as the continuation on a steady state solver and the specific parametric sweep node. The second one is that in the Results section, where I see only one data set. Maybe I have chosen the wrong option in Parametric sweep. I have attached my file I used for the simulation if it can help.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 gen 2012, 16:50 CET
Hi

try a search on the FORUM, its has been discussed many times ;)

What you have in the file is the "full or external" (my names) Parametric sweep, it scans the geoemtry, the mesh and the solver, but at each sequence it restarts with the default initial conditions

The other parametric sweep, is inside the stationary study under Extension Continuation. This loop does NOT pass over the geometry and mesh, so these remain, but the physics is swept with the defined parameter(s) and each new parameter step, starts with the initial conditions of the previous step.

But something is wrong, on your file, as the solution does not seem to loop around ;)

Try: select the Study 1 Stationary node, and open the Extension tab, enter by selecting the "displacement", then copy the range from the Parametric sweep node into the range of the Extension- continuation node. then delete the parametric sweep node fully and solve. You might need to delete your solver sequence and regenerate it, this will probably delete your results plot so these must also be redefined then.

Be aware that your mesh is rather coarse for true stress analysis, but should be acceptable for global displacement estimations

By the way, consider update your version to latest patch (166) there a re few things that have been improved since
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi try a search on the FORUM, its has been discussed many times ;) What you have in the file is the "full or external" (my names) Parametric sweep, it scans the geoemtry, the mesh and the solver, but at each sequence it restarts with the default initial conditions The other parametric sweep, is inside the stationary study under Extension Continuation. This loop does NOT pass over the geometry and mesh, so these remain, but the physics is swept with the defined parameter(s) and each new parameter step, starts with the initial conditions of the previous step. But something is wrong, on your file, as the solution does not seem to loop around ;) Try: select the Study 1 Stationary node, and open the Extension tab, enter by selecting the "displacement", then copy the range from the Parametric sweep node into the range of the Extension- continuation node. then delete the parametric sweep node fully and solve. You might need to delete your solver sequence and regenerate it, this will probably delete your results plot so these must also be redefined then. Be aware that your mesh is rather coarse for true stress analysis, but should be acceptable for global displacement estimations By the way, consider update your version to latest patch (166) there a re few things that have been improved since -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 gen 2012, 09:54 CET
I have followed your instructions and the loop-solution has worked fine, as I expected.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards.

Gaetano
I have followed your instructions and the loop-solution has worked fine, as I expected. Thank you very much for your help. Best regards. Gaetano

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.