Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling a Cantilever beam with a piezoelectric patch, 2D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all, I'm not able to modelling in the right way a cantilever beam with a piezoelectric bimorph patch...... I just tried to remodel the Tutorial: shear_bender.mph in the model library, but in 2D ..... it doesn't works..... Same can help me? ThankU

1 Reply Last Post 11 dic 2011, 05:51 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 dic 2011, 05:51 GMT-5
Hi

I know there were a few formula bugs in the early 4.0a so you should reconstruct your model in a newer version. But I do also have a few general comments:

When you model such thin layer syou must ensure you have at least >2 elements across the layer, I mostly use a finer mesh, and I also mostly cut my layer into two to enhance the "neutral line" you have in the middle of the thickness of a uniform density/strength layer.

Your voltage is very low, normally one apply a 1-2 kV/mm so I would rather expect 2-4 kV on your electrode (if you have a layered PZT you must multiply the applied volts by the number of layers (often 10-50 per mm for most PZT)

Then you need to select the correct orientation, COMSOL uses the IEEE definition for the tensor orientation for PZT materials, which is different from the linear material tensor orientation, be aware ;) also in 2D "z" is out of the plane, you should reorient it along your 2D "y". I.e. use a "base vector coordinate and select 1 or 2 as the out of plane direction and then use that for the PZT

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I know there were a few formula bugs in the early 4.0a so you should reconstruct your model in a newer version. But I do also have a few general comments: When you model such thin layer syou must ensure you have at least >2 elements across the layer, I mostly use a finer mesh, and I also mostly cut my layer into two to enhance the "neutral line" you have in the middle of the thickness of a uniform density/strength layer. Your voltage is very low, normally one apply a 1-2 kV/mm so I would rather expect 2-4 kV on your electrode (if you have a layered PZT you must multiply the applied volts by the number of layers (often 10-50 per mm for most PZT) Then you need to select the correct orientation, COMSOL uses the IEEE definition for the tensor orientation for PZT materials, which is different from the linear material tensor orientation, be aware ;) also in 2D "z" is out of the plane, you should reorient it along your 2D "y". I.e. use a "base vector coordinate and select 1 or 2 as the out of plane direction and then use that for the PZT -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.