Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Operational method of COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Based on what method COMSOL works? Is it full vectorial finite element method (FVFEM) or finite element method (FEM)?

1 Reply Last Post 11 nov 2019, 05:00 GMT-5
Ulf Olin COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 11 nov 2019, 05:00 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 11 nov 2019, 05:30 GMT-5

Dear Moutusi,

In the COMSOL RF and Wave Optics Modules the full vectorial Helmholtz equation is solved for anisotropic materials. So without having found a precise definition of the acronym FVFEM, I would say that COMSOL uses FVFEM (and, of course, FEM). Please let me know if you have another definition of FVFEM.

Best regards,
Ulf Olin

Dear Moutusi, In the COMSOL RF and Wave Optics Modules the full vectorial Helmholtz equation is solved for anisotropic materials. So without having found a precise definition of the acronym FVFEM, I would say that COMSOL uses FVFEM (and, of course, FEM). Please let me know if you have another definition of FVFEM. Best regards, Ulf Olin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.