Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Residual Stress for Eigenfreq?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to solve a problem here with computing the eigenfrequencies of a body under compressive and thermal stresses.
My object is very thin, about 1mm, so I have to use the Shell Module, but there are no options for initial stress, etc. If I try this in the Solid Stress module, I am faced with some severe mesh problems because the object is so thin.
Can anyone offer a potential solution here?

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post 7 dic 2009, 03:10 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 dic 2009, 03:10 GMT-5
if no option for residual stress available , you must add your inital thermal stress by modyfing the weak form
physic>subdomain setting equation. To do it , you can have a look how it is implemented in the solid stress module and transpose the concept in the shell module.I have already implemented this type of analysis for compressive and thermal stress for the quartz resonator :my procedure was to first run a static analysis and then use the static solution as linearisation point for the eigen analysis.If you want me to help to implement this,send me your file in my personal e-mail (thibault.louvet-carron@temex.fr)either or in this blog.
if no option for residual stress available , you must add your inital thermal stress by modyfing the weak form physic>subdomain setting equation. To do it , you can have a look how it is implemented in the solid stress module and transpose the concept in the shell module.I have already implemented this type of analysis for compressive and thermal stress for the quartz resonator :my procedure was to first run a static analysis and then use the static solution as linearisation point for the eigen analysis.If you want me to help to implement this,send me your file in my personal e-mail (thibault.louvet-carron@temex.fr)either or in this blog.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.