Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL Version 4.2

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Colleagues,

We are delighted to announce the release of COMSOL Version 4.2!
This is a major upgrade which expands multiphysics applications for
mechanical, fluid, electromagnetics, and chemical simulations as well
as for CAD interoperability.

Most notable in this release are the many new and useful capabilities
for geometry and meshing, solvers, postprocessing, as well as with the
user interface. Version 4.2 also expands the applications covered by
COMSOL with three new application modules - Microfluidics, Geomechanics,
and Electrodeposition - and new LiveLink interfaces for AutoCAD® and
SpaceClaim®.

For an extensive list of the exciting new features, visit
www.comsol.com/4.2.

Feel free to contact your COMSOL representative to learn more.

Best regards,
Jeff Hiller

11 Replies Last Post 2 dic 2011, 05:05 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 mag 2011, 01:34 GMT-4
Dear All

Yes indeed, in the new release there are nice complements, among other in the postprocessing, to allow us end user to gain time, and many "small" very useful enhancements all over.

The only thing: I'm getting lost in the multiplicity and splitting of the toolboxes/physics, as I'm using and mixing many, it's getting less obvious to understand which modules are required, probably that is the cost of true "multi-physics"

By the way for us in Europe this link works better:

www.comsol.eu/products/4.2/

--
Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Dear All Yes indeed, in the new release there are nice complements, among other in the postprocessing, to allow us end user to gain time, and many "small" very useful enhancements all over. The only thing: I'm getting lost in the multiplicity and splitting of the toolboxes/physics, as I'm using and mixing many, it's getting less obvious to understand which modules are required, probably that is the cost of true "multi-physics" By the way for us in Europe this link works better: http://www.comsol.eu/products/4.2/ -- Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 mag 2011, 04:59 GMT-4

(...)
The only thing: I'm getting lost in the multiplicity and splitting of the toolboxes/physics, as I'm using and mixing many, it's getting less obvious to understand which modules are required, probably that is the cost of true "multi-physics"
(...)

Hi Ivar, I guess this problem gets more prominent the more modules you have licensed. Here is the key: Right click a feature in the model tree and select Properties. Example: If you have "Laminar Two-Phase flow, Level Set (tpf)", right-click that and select Properties. Under the Used Products section you will see "COMSOL multiphysics" and "CFD Module".

You can do this also on boundary conditions and other features that require a certain product. If a feature is available in more that one add-on module and you are licensed to all of them, the first product key available will be shown in the properties section.

If you want to check the entire model file, click the root node in the model tree.

For a full specification of features and products, please refer the the Specification Chart on the web:
www.comsol.com/products/specifications/

kind regards
Niklas
[QUOTE] (...) The only thing: I'm getting lost in the multiplicity and splitting of the toolboxes/physics, as I'm using and mixing many, it's getting less obvious to understand which modules are required, probably that is the cost of true "multi-physics" (...) [/QUOTE] Hi Ivar, I guess this problem gets more prominent the more modules you have licensed. Here is the key: Right click a feature in the model tree and select Properties. Example: If you have "Laminar Two-Phase flow, Level Set (tpf)", right-click that and select Properties. Under the Used Products section you will see "COMSOL multiphysics" and "CFD Module". You can do this also on boundary conditions and other features that require a certain product. If a feature is available in more that one add-on module and you are licensed to all of them, the first product key available will be shown in the properties section. If you want to check the entire model file, click the root node in the model tree. For a full specification of features and products, please refer the the Specification Chart on the web: http://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/ kind regards Niklas

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 mag 2011, 07:08 GMT-4
Hi Niklas

Indeed you have added several nice new features to help us understand "overriding", physics "usage" etc in v4.2.
I need some time to discover them all :)

But my remark went also in view of us justifying w.r.t our management the ROI of COMSOL and the different modules, for each module, and why (it's an exercise I must prepare each year). This is no criticism, but you are now covering in detail so many physics that one easily become lost. And your specification list is detailed and impressive, indeed

--
Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Niklas Indeed you have added several nice new features to help us understand "overriding", physics "usage" etc in v4.2. I need some time to discover them all :) But my remark went also in view of us justifying w.r.t our management the ROI of COMSOL and the different modules, for each module, and why (it's an exercise I must prepare each year). This is no criticism, but you are now covering in detail so many physics that one easily become lost. And your specification list is detailed and impressive, indeed -- Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 mag 2011, 13:44 GMT-4
After you install version 4.2, you should download and install the first update for version 4.2.
www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol42p/
After you install version 4.2, you should download and install the first update for version 4.2. http://www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol42p/

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 giu 2011, 17:05 GMT-4
A new video illustrating some of the most salient new features introduced by version 4.2 is now available at this link:
www.comsol.com/community/blogs/multiphysics/171/
A new video illustrating some of the most salient new features introduced by version 4.2 is now available at this link: http://www.comsol.com/community/blogs/multiphysics/171/

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 giu 2011, 16:35 GMT-4
There is now a second update available for version 4.2:

www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol42p2/
There is now a second update available for version 4.2: http://www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol42p2/

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 giu 2011, 03:31 GMT-4
Hi !
Just installed 4.2 and wondered: does update 2 cover the issues in update 1?
I have installed update 2, should I install update 1 as well ?

Thanks
Hi ! Just installed 4.2 and wondered: does update 2 cover the issues in update 1? I have installed update 2, should I install update 1 as well ? Thanks

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 giu 2011, 03:59 GMT-4
Hi,

Yes, Update 2 is cumulative and includes all updates in Update 1. For details, see the update page on the COMSOL website:

www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol42p2/

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, Yes, Update 2 is cumulative and includes all updates in Update 1. For details, see the update page on the COMSOL website: http://www.comsol.com/support/updates/comsol42p2/ Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 nov 2011, 11:24 GMT-5
In order to make comsol (linux version) executable for users other than root the update to 4.2a (134) needs in addition to

chcon -t textrel_shlib_t [installdir]/comsol42a/lib/[platform]/lib*

the command

chmod 755 [installdir]/comsol42a/lib/

Regards,
Dominik
In order to make comsol (linux version) executable for users other than root the update to 4.2a (134) needs in addition to chcon -t textrel_shlib_t [installdir]/comsol42a/lib/[platform]/lib* the command chmod 755 [installdir]/comsol42a/lib/ Regards, Dominik

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 dic 2011, 11:58 GMT-5
The update program for 4.2a update 1 (comsol_4.2.1.134_win.exe) suggests to extract the updated files to:
C:/Program Files/COMSOL/COMSOL42a
even though I have installed comsol in
C:\COMSOL42a
It is easy to make a mistake here.

Anders Gytri
The update program for 4.2a update 1 (comsol_4.2.1.134_win.exe) suggests to extract the updated files to: C:/Program Files/COMSOL/COMSOL42a even though I have installed comsol in C:\COMSOL42a It is easy to make a mistake here. Anders Gytri

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 dic 2011, 05:05 GMT-5
Hi

you are right, but on the other hands it's always best to install a programme at its default location, also because Win OS expects the programmes to be in their default directory, where file access rules of given settings are applied by default

I believe it rather easy for you to redirect it, but as for FEM one should not forget to verify what one is doing, at each step ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are right, but on the other hands it's always best to install a programme at its default location, also because Win OS expects the programmes to be in their default directory, where file access rules of given settings are applied by default I believe it rather easy for you to redirect it, but as for FEM one should not forget to verify what one is doing, at each step ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.