Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help using an application mode subdomain variable as an input variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I am modelling fluid flow through a microchannel using:

1. Weakly compressible Navier-Stokes
2. Convection and Conduction
3. Convection and Diffusion

I have included a docx with some images to help explain my problem more clearly. I want to investigate how heating the channel will improve mixing. I solve (1) and (2) to give a velocity field modified by the temperature gradient in the model. However, I am having problems solving (3).

I want to modify the diffusion coefficient in (3) according to the change in viscosity found in the first step. I can plot the temperature dependent viscosity by eta_chns, but how do I go about using this as a variable in my Convection/Diffusion model?

I am trying the following:

D(iostropic): ((D[m^2*s^-1])*(T)*(eta_in[Pa*s]))/((T_in[K])*(eta_chns(T[1/K])[Pa*s]))

D: initial diffusion coefficient value (I define this in constants)
T: variable from (2)Convection/Conduction
eta_in: initial viscosity value (I define this in constants)
eta_chns: variation in viscosity found by solving (1) and (2)...I cannot get this expression to work.

I can not figure out if I need to define a global expression, equation or function.
Your help would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Kevin

1 Reply Last Post 13 apr 2011, 18:45 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 apr 2011, 18:45 GMT-4
hi,
post your model file..i can not figure out this way..
Mayur
hi, post your model file..i can not figure out this way.. Mayur

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.