Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

taking advantage of the symmetrical geometry, How can I get the same results using only one fourth of the actual geometry?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

the problem consists in measuring the absorption of radiation in a silicon nanowire. The incident electromagnetic wave reaches the nanowire (a cylinder in the figure) with "k" parallel to the axis of the cylinder. The wave is TM.

The figure shows the modeling of the problem: a solid silicon cylinder surrounded by air where the "air cubes" at the ends of the figure are Cartesian PMLS. My question is: taking advantage of the symmetrical geometry, How can I get the same results using only one fourth of the actual geometry? How do I do with the boundary conditions? Should I maintain the same boundary conditions? How should these boundary conditions be applied?

thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 8 apr 2011, 03:00 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 apr 2011, 03:00 GMT-4
Hi

A good question you have there, normally I would believe the symmetry (or antisymmetry) BC should apply, but in electromagnetics one must take care to get the right coupling between E and B fields also w.r.t. symmetries and their perpendicular behaviour

But I do not knopw how the floquet conditions behave with such symmetry conditions, one would need to test it out on something trivial and easy to estimate correctly by analytical means.

One thing, take care with the PLM and multiple material boundaries

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi A good question you have there, normally I would believe the symmetry (or antisymmetry) BC should apply, but in electromagnetics one must take care to get the right coupling between E and B fields also w.r.t. symmetries and their perpendicular behaviour But I do not knopw how the floquet conditions behave with such symmetry conditions, one would need to test it out on something trivial and easy to estimate correctly by analytical means. One thing, take care with the PLM and multiple material boundaries -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.