Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Refining a mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I just wondered if it was possible to refine a mesh around a point with Comsol 4.1 ?
On 3.5a there were a "point mesh parameters" option. What about 4.1?

Thanks.

5 Replies Last Post 7 dic 2011, 12:44 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 feb 2011, 01:33 GMT-5
Hi

in 2D you can "box" a region and refine locally, I do not believe this is possible in 3D (how to "box" in 3D?), I often add points and lines or even a sphere/box of interior boundaries to mesh the different boundaries and domains separately to get a better control on the mesh parameters. Then you have many parameters to change the mesh sizes and size gradients in COMSOL. It's worth to spend some time playing with these on simple examples

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in 2D you can "box" a region and refine locally, I do not believe this is possible in 3D (how to "box" in 3D?), I often add points and lines or even a sphere/box of interior boundaries to mesh the different boundaries and domains separately to get a better control on the mesh parameters. Then you have many parameters to change the mesh sizes and size gradients in COMSOL. It's worth to spend some time playing with these on simple examples -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 dic 2011, 14:05 GMT-5
Hi,

I'm trying to do the same thing using comsol 4.2a. My model runs fine if I use a built-in "Physics controlled mesh". But if I do right click under the Mesh node, go to "More operations" »» "Refine" and then I select some domains for refinement, I get the following error message:

"There is no mesh to refine"

although I have previously created a mesh in all domains.
Hi, I'm trying to do the same thing using comsol 4.2a. My model runs fine if I use a built-in "Physics controlled mesh". But if I do right click under the Mesh node, go to "More operations" »» "Refine" and then I select some domains for refinement, I get the following error message: "There is no mesh to refine" although I have previously created a mesh in all domains.

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 dic 2011, 14:33 GMT-5
Try using "Scale" option from mesh menu
Try using "Scale" option from mesh menu

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 dic 2011, 07:31 GMT-5
Solved! Finally!

The problem was that I was refining a physics-oriented mesh directly. The right way is to change the sequence type from "Physics-oriented mesh" to "User-controlled mesh" and a mesh type will be automatically created (usually "Free triangular 1"). Then you may be able to refine specific domains without any problems.

This was the answer I received from the support service:

"(...) When you set your mesh to User Controlled you have to manually add a mesh
type. If you look at the attached screenshot you can see how I've added a
Free Triangular mesh.
Now you will not have the error message.(...)"

Thanks to all for the help.
Cheers.
Solved! Finally! The problem was that I was refining a physics-oriented mesh directly. The right way is to change the sequence type from "Physics-oriented mesh" to "User-controlled mesh" and a mesh type will be automatically created (usually "Free triangular 1"). Then you may be able to refine specific domains without any problems. This was the answer I received from the support service: "(...) When you set your mesh to User Controlled you have to manually add a mesh type. If you look at the attached screenshot you can see how I've added a Free Triangular mesh. Now you will not have the error message.(...)" Thanks to all for the help. Cheers.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 dic 2011, 12:44 GMT-5
You can apply the “Size” mesh feature to points in 3D
You can apply the “Size” mesh feature to points in 3D

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.