Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to gv input through matlab as a text doc to comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

good morning sir

generally my project is based mems based high Q disk resonator. and i m concentrating on geometry to improve Q at GHz freq.... and i want to gv input like radius,thickness ...etc of disk through matlab as a text doc to comsol just like recycling .

is it possible to do like that if yes can anyone gv me any suggestion in this case.i will be thankful to u sir......

1 Reply Last Post 10 feb 2011, 01:34 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 feb 2011, 01:34 GMT-5
Hi

First, are you talking about BAW or that type mechanical oscillations or optical oscillation of an EM field ?

In anycase you need very fine mesh to be sure you resolve correctly the wavelength, in the material. Then for the Q factor, this broadening of the resonance is directly related to the losses you introduce. And by default COMSOL has no losses (remains the open issue for me, how much or if any "numerical" losses that might appear in the model). Normally an eigenfrequency analysis has no losses hence Q=Inf but all plots obtained show finite resonances so some "numerical like losses are present". But you need to know what to set in the material properties as that will drive the 80% of your Q factor analysis, as the eigenfrequency itself (in Hz) is essentially a dynamic inertia effect (for structural)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi First, are you talking about BAW or that type mechanical oscillations or optical oscillation of an EM field ? In anycase you need very fine mesh to be sure you resolve correctly the wavelength, in the material. Then for the Q factor, this broadening of the resonance is directly related to the losses you introduce. And by default COMSOL has no losses (remains the open issue for me, how much or if any "numerical" losses that might appear in the model). Normally an eigenfrequency analysis has no losses hence Q=Inf but all plots obtained show finite resonances so some "numerical like losses are present". But you need to know what to set in the material properties as that will drive the 80% of your Q factor analysis, as the eigenfrequency itself (in Hz) is essentially a dynamic inertia effect (for structural) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.