Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with the eigenfrequency solver using matlab

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I use Comsol Versoin 3.5. I'm searching for eigenfrequencies of a vibrating membrane under stress.

After I solved the eigenfrequency problem, I saved the m-file and reopened it with Comsol. Unfortunately, it now calculates eigenvalues instead of eigenfequencies.

To reproduce the problem, create a new file (MEMS Module -> Structural Mechanics -> Solid, Stress-Strain -> Eigenfrequency analysis), define a random block, initialize mesh and solve the problem. Go to Plot Parameters -> General -> Solution to use, and note, that it shows some eigenfrequencies there. Then go to File-> Save as.... and save it as a Model M-file. Reopen the just saved m-file and again, go to Plot Parameters and there you will see, that it calculated eigenvalues instead of eigenfrequencies.

Checking the solver parameters after loading the m-file, I noticed that Comsol is no longer able to auto select the solver. It also doesn't show the eigenfrequency solver, just the eigenvalue solver.

Is there a way to calculate eigenfrequencies using matlab?

Thanks a lot

1 Reply Last Post 10 feb 2011, 05:06 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 feb 2011, 05:06 GMT-5
Hey there,

the problem is kind of solved. Matlab can't give out the eigenfrequencies, but the eigenvalue is just the same multiplied by 2*pi*i. I still don't understand, why I cant change the solver in Comsol after opening a m.file. But as long as I get my eigenfrequencies, I'm happy... ;-)

Hey there, the problem is kind of solved. Matlab can't give out the eigenfrequencies, but the eigenvalue is just the same multiplied by 2*pi*i. I still don't understand, why I cant change the solver in Comsol after opening a m.file. But as long as I get my eigenfrequencies, I'm happy... ;-)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.