Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem trying to pulse heat source

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to model laser heating of a block.
As a rough model I have a 3D block with a cylinder embedded in it.
I am then applying a heat flux to one of the circular faces of the cylinder to repersent the laser spot.

I wish to pulse the laser spot and so I have defined a pulse train expression using the heaviside function:
(flc2hs(mod(t,0.01)-1,1)-flc2hs(mod(t,0.01)-3,1)

I then multiply this step function by a large heat flux on the appropriate boundary.

However when I solve the boundary stays at the same temperature.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 Replies Last Post 2 ago 2011, 17:53 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 gen 2011, 08:28 GMT-5
Hi,

have you tried to analyse the "laser heatflux" in postprocessing mode? What about the solver options: do the time stepping options fit to the pulse frequency?

At least, you pulse function looks like a sharp saw - only one side is smooth. Not recommendable for numerical analysis ...
Hi, have you tried to analyse the "laser heatflux" in postprocessing mode? What about the solver options: do the time stepping options fit to the pulse frequency? At least, you pulse function looks like a sharp saw - only one side is smooth. Not recommendable for numerical analysis ...

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 gen 2011, 08:31 GMT-5
Hi

have you tried to plot that function ?

first there is a closing bracket ")" missing at the end, second it's a sawtooth when I try to plot it, the function is with a lot of discontinuities !!

The solver gets crazy on such functions. the Heaviside functions are there to "smoothen". So why not try a 0.5*(1-cos(2*pi*f*t)) then ?

And do not forget to set the solver stepping to intermediate, or strict, and to define sufficient points per period to resolve the sinus or your general periodicity

So I see I'm not alone here, I believe you have missed something in the periodicity of your function, it requires a little more tweaking
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you tried to plot that function ? first there is a closing bracket ")" missing at the end, second it's a sawtooth when I try to plot it, the function is with a lot of discontinuities !! The solver gets crazy on such functions. the Heaviside functions are there to "smoothen". So why not try a 0.5*(1-cos(2*pi*f*t)) then ? And do not forget to set the solver stepping to intermediate, or strict, and to define sufficient points per period to resolve the sinus or your general periodicity So I see I'm not alone here, I believe you have missed something in the periodicity of your function, it requires a little more tweaking -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 gen 2011, 10:21 GMT-5
Thank you for your prompt replies the function is now working correctly.
It seems the error was in the discontinuities of my earlier function.

I would be lost without your help!
Thanks again.
Thank you for your prompt replies the function is now working correctly. It seems the error was in the discontinuities of my earlier function. I would be lost without your help! Thanks again.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 mag 2011, 22:28 GMT-4
I know this maybe an old topic for you. As I am new to Comsol, I have problems to simulate the temperature rising of the plasmonic structure during the laser illumination. Assuming the Electromagnetic wave plus the heat transfer will do the job. According to the suggestion from the Comsol support, one heat source was added using the total power loss of the electromagnetic wave. However, it doesn't work.
Apprecieate any of your suggestions.
I know this maybe an old topic for you. As I am new to Comsol, I have problems to simulate the temperature rising of the plasmonic structure during the laser illumination. Assuming the Electromagnetic wave plus the heat transfer will do the job. According to the suggestion from the Comsol support, one heat source was added using the total power loss of the electromagnetic wave. However, it doesn't work. Apprecieate any of your suggestions.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 ago 2011, 17:53 GMT-4
I am trying to model the pulse laser train. I am using flc2hs((mode(t.0.2)-0),1)-flch2hs((mod(t,0.2)-2e-12),1).
I multiply this by intensity to get the pulse train.
For some reason the COMSOL hangs when I am trying to run the program.

Can you help me to figure out the problem?

Thanks,
Amir
I am trying to model the pulse laser train. I am using flc2hs((mode(t.0.2)-0),1)-flch2hs((mod(t,0.2)-2e-12),1). I multiply this by intensity to get the pulse train. For some reason the COMSOL hangs when I am trying to run the program. Can you help me to figure out the problem? Thanks, Amir

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.