Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

HOW CAN I USE QUADRATIC ELEMENTS IN MESHING IN COMSOL 4.0?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HOW CAN I USE QUADRATIC ELEMENTS IN MESHING IN COMSOL 4.0?
I CAN FIND IT IN COMSOL

6 Replies Last Post 8 nov 2010, 01:13 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 nov 2010, 09:47 GMT-5
right click on mesh - choose 'free quad' then 'build selected'...and you are done

Stephan
right click on mesh - choose 'free quad' then 'build selected'...and you are done Stephan

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 nov 2010, 09:51 GMT-5
No, not quadrilaterals.
Quadratic elements: a quadratic triangle for example has 6 nodes; 3 on vertexes and 3 on the middle of each of its lines. I want to use quadratic instead of linear elements.
No, not quadrilaterals. Quadratic elements: a quadratic triangle for example has 6 nodes; 3 on vertexes and 3 on the middle of each of its lines. I want to use quadratic instead of linear elements.

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 nov 2010, 09:59 GMT-5
just change the shape function
just change the shape function

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 nov 2010, 10:00 GMT-5
how can I do that in Comsol?
i just used a few times...
how can I do that in Comsol? i just used a few times...

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 nov 2010, 10:09 GMT-5
have a look here www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/5351/
have a look here http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/5351/

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 nov 2010, 01:13 GMT-5
Hi

I find this is not well documented by COMSOL, mainly because they have a different way than many other FEM tools, and for COMSOl it's so "obvious" that they forget to tell us, but really with COSMSOL the meshing is independent of the shape function, and material properties are not applied to the mesh as in other tools. So long this is not understood by those used to traditional tools, they get frustrated (as I got too in the beginning).

We need to get the full COMSOL sequence clear in our head:
CAD objects => FEM geometrical Entities (via the geoemtrical Finish = geomeanalyse())
- - - - - - - - - - => material properties ON entities
- - - - - - - - - - => boundary conditions ON entities,
- - - - - - - - - - => shape functions (polynomial level, intermediate nodes...) ON entities,
- - - - - - - - - - => (simple) meshing ON entities, properties gained by inheritance
Solving
Postprocessing

This approach gives the strength and ability of COMSOL to adapt the geoemtry far more easily than any other tool, and the sequence as such is really more logical and coherent
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I find this is not well documented by COMSOL, mainly because they have a different way than many other FEM tools, and for COMSOl it's so "obvious" that they forget to tell us, but really with COSMSOL the meshing is independent of the shape function, and material properties are not applied to the mesh as in other tools. So long this is not understood by those used to traditional tools, they get frustrated (as I got too in the beginning). We need to get the full COMSOL sequence clear in our head: CAD objects => FEM geometrical Entities (via the geoemtrical Finish = geomeanalyse()) - - - - - - - - - - => material properties ON entities - - - - - - - - - - => boundary conditions ON entities, - - - - - - - - - - => shape functions (polynomial level, intermediate nodes...) ON entities, - - - - - - - - - - => (simple) meshing ON entities, properties gained by inheritance Solving Postprocessing This approach gives the strength and ability of COMSOL to adapt the geoemtry far more easily than any other tool, and the sequence as such is really more logical and coherent -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.