Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to change the coordinate system in COMSOL 4.0?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

If I want to use the cylindrical coordinate system, how should I do? I just know this "Definition --- coordinate systems --- cylindrical system", how to set the parameters? In addition, how can I know that I have sucessfully changed the coordinate system? Since we cannot see the equations in V4.0.
Another question: If a model I can use the 2D axisymmetry space, is it available to use 2D space and then change the coordinate system into cylindrical system? Are these two methods equivalent?
Thank you!

3 Replies Last Post 1 dic 2010, 03:00 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 ott 2010, 01:27 GMT-4
Hi

In tzhe Definition coordinate system you DEFINE a different coordinate system.

You apply it selectively by choosing the different coordinates systems for each sub node in the physics. In case of doubt, turn on the equations view (sub nodes) in the preferences, and have a look (theay do not always show up though fully.

When you change the coordinate system for a given BC you will see the names change from x,y,z to r phi a etc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi In tzhe Definition coordinate system you DEFINE a different coordinate system. You apply it selectively by choosing the different coordinates systems for each sub node in the physics. In case of doubt, turn on the equations view (sub nodes) in the preferences, and have a look (theay do not always show up though fully. When you change the coordinate system for a given BC you will see the names change from x,y,z to r phi a etc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 nov 2010, 14:21 GMT-5
Hi Ivar can you explain more how should we apply it for each sub node? I am trying to solve flow between two concentric cylinders, by using cartezian coordinate system everything would be fine but I dont know how to switch to cylindrical coordinate?

NaDer
Hi Ivar can you explain more how should we apply it for each sub node? I am trying to solve flow between two concentric cylinders, by using cartezian coordinate system everything would be fine but I dont know how to switch to cylindrical coordinate? NaDer

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 dic 2010, 03:00 GMT-5
Hi

COMSOL works in cartesian coordinates, but to help you set up a model you can define other coordinates systems (Definitions sub-node), it then transforms everything back to cartesian (unfortunately today its difficult to process the results in anything else than cartesian)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL works in cartesian coordinates, but to help you set up a model you can define other coordinates systems (Definitions sub-node), it then transforms everything back to cartesian (unfortunately today its difficult to process the results in anything else than cartesian) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.